1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Change Time Limit???

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by newsmaker22, Apr 4, 2009.

1. newsmaker22

newsmaker22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Bought my 2009 Prius pkg 4 in Feb and love the hell out of it. It's like driving a video game. So, my commute is only like 8 miles and I drive a little on the weekends. So far I have less than 1000 miles on it and it looks like it's going to take me a while, 5-6 months to get to the 5000 miles for an oil change. Do you think I should take it in after 5 months to get it changed or just wait for the 5K?

THanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Waiting for 5K miles to be logged is fine. If it should turn out that more than a year would elapse before you accumulate 5K miles, then I would suggest replacing your oil/oil filter at least annually.

3. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You may find you drive more as you prefer the Prius. We've had ours 10 months and have done 21,000 plus, with about half of that on medium-to-long vacations. So we do more oil changes (synthetic blend) than we expected.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you want to comply with the Scheduled Maintenance for warranty purposes, then you are supposed to change every 5,000 miles or 6 mos. whichever occurs first .

On the Prius, I have been hitting the mileage first, however, on my GF's Avalon she never drives 5k in 6 mos. So for the Avalon I change on time basis. For my Explorer, I have gone to yearly oil changes because I drive it less than 1k per year.