1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Change. You be the judge

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jnet, Aug 19, 2013.

1. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For those of you old enough to remember when synthetic oil first hit the market, the manufacturer claimed the oil would last more than 10k miles. Keep in mind, this is a claim on gas cars, not hybrid. Two decades later, Toyota is saying we should change our oil every 7k miles on the Prius. Really?? If I'm using synthetic oil on a hybrid, I'm expect it to last 15k miles since two decades ago, it could go 10k on gas-only cars. Also, today's engines are built better and don't dirty the oil as much. Hybrid gas engines also run cooler and at lower RPM. It also turns off when it's not needed. So..what the heck is going on here? Is Toyota lying to us or the quality of synthetic oil has gone down hill the past two decades? You be the judge.

For me, I don't really care what Toyota has to say. I'm going to change my oil every 12 months or every 200 gallons of gas my Prius consumed, which ever came first. IMO Toyota is lying to us. I don't believe the quality of synthetic oil has gone down hill. If anything, it should be getting better.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well UOAs do tell the story. Of course that will be different in each circumstance but in general they tell the story. In most cases, the oil is getting pretty used up by 10K in the Prius on the average.

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Oil changes are NOT that expensive. I'd do what you propose just for "peace of mind."

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know. On a new vehicle, I'm following manufacturers recommendations if only to maintain warranty. Outside of warranty I'm following Toyota's recommendation because as pointed out Oil Changes are relatively inexpensive.

Why spend 20,000-30.000 + for a vehicle and then try to save a few bucks on oil changes?

I'd rather be accused of changing too often...than push Oil Changes beyond recommendations just because "I" think it's possible. In other words, I'd rather be wrong about changing too often, than right about not having to change as often. No harm if I'm wrong about the first scenario. Possible damage if I'm wrong about the second. And at less than $50 once or twice a year, it's a very acceptable cost of maintenance.

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Are you in the United States? Here it's every 10k miles, not 7k.

6. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

My bad. I thought they said 7k miles. But so far, my new Prius warns me about the oil change every 5k miles.

7. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    5K is a service warning. Tire rotation every 5K and oil change every 10K.

jnet likes this.
  8. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Guys at work are running 15k on synthetic oil I would worry about the oil filter plugging up and going to bypass that would be a problem........... Mazda says 7500 miles Prius is now at 10k. with the engine not always running 10k seems fine to me..........

chrisj428 likes this.
  9. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

The oil filter is around $5. It looks easy enough to change, at least from the video that I saw on youtube. I'm going to start keeping track of the amount of gas I used between oil change. IMO, it doesn't make sense to change oil based on miles driven especially for hybrids. It would make more sense if it's based on fuel consumption.

10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I for one will continue to change my oil at 5k intervals. It gives me more peace of mind and gives me a reason to check the underside of the car for leaks, etc.

We use UOA at work on mechanical equipment religously but still have some premature failures. Like you, I also have concerns about the life of the oil filters.

I will let the rest of you continue to test the life of the oil and filters :)

11. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

A couple of decades ago, I owned a Mazda 323, paid only $7k for it. I changed oil every 7k to 10k miles using non-synthetic oil. The car had over 200k miles on it before I sold it to a mechanic. The engine ran like new before it wouldn't start one day and the problem has nothing to do with engine wear and tear. Changing oil is important but the way a driver drive the car is more important. Frequent oil change isn't going to make your car last longer if you happen to drive like a bat out of hell.

I can see why Toyota would want me to change oil frequently. 1) They want their dealers to have more income from servicing my car. That's understandable. My dealer offers me free state inspections for all of my cars, even non-Toyota cars. Why? Because they know eventually they will find something wrong with my cars and they will earn extra income from fixing the problems. 2) They also want to have something to blame on, in case there's something wrong with my Prius under warranty and I just so happened to forget to change oil at their recommended interval.

12. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bottom line, do what's comfortable for you in terms of money, what's recommended vs not recommended and what you think about it. Every prius owner has it's own opinion with regards to what he/she might think about a certain maintenance procedure. You can stretch your oil change intervals to over 10k. But for me, it does not give me peace of mind. jdcollins5 posted a good reason why you should change oil intervals as recommended or every 5K which I do because I plan to keep my prius as long as I can. But it always boils down to " to each his own". I always do my maintenance methods based on my previous experience when I change oil regularly @ 5k or 7K.

13. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "previous experience" Did you know at one time the "previous experience" was to change oil every 3000 miles? Here's what Toyota is saying indirectly. "We are building better cars with better engines that run cooler, cleaner, and at lower RPM. The engine even turn itself off when it's not need. We are requiring you to use synthetic oil, which is a better oil. You are going to pay more for it. However, we are sticking to the old standard even though everything you purchased are better." Something sounds fishy to me. That's all I'm saying.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not an expert on lubes but if you are going to extend drain interval, you might want to check for A5/B5 quality rating, which I believe means qualified for extended drain. The problem with this, I have not seen too many 0w-20 and 5W-20 with the A5/B5 rating. So there's a hint for you. The Gen2 the 5W-30 and 0W-30 do have the A5/B5 on Mobil-1 anyways. Even on Gen2 I would not extend drain past 7-10k becuase I have a feeling it picks up gasoline as a contaminant (Gen3 may be better there).

jnet likes this.
  15. ImeanGreen

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have never changed oil every 3k FYI. I always do it on 5k or 7K when my reminder light tells me for convenience - don't need to write the mileage on a sticker or write it down in my maintenance log book. Driving style aside, your engine depends on the oil pretty much and you can argue when to change and when not to change at a certain number of miles. If you are happy about what you do with your maintenance procedure, be it. I was able to hang on my 1996 camry until it got to 365,000 miles and that is where my experience came from. Whether it be a new type of vehicle or not, an engine still needs oil. I don't think you can argue that new oil is better than old oil. As stated earlier, regardless of what the recommendations, what we hear, see and observe, it always boils down to " to his each own" and nothing "sounds fishy" unless someone rips you off from the stealership or your local change oil shop.

BTW, I even added this to my prius . Magnetic oil drain plug installed | PriusChat

16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When Toyota first came out with the 2010 Prius in mid-2009 the recommended oil change interval listed in the manual was 5k miles. Once customers started complaining about the higher cost of the synthetic oil and the fact that UOA of synthetic oil had indicated that it was good for 10k+ miles, Toyota came back in early 2010 and changed the interval to 10k miles. They sent out new Warranty and Maintenance manuals to indicate the change to 10k intervals.

Nothing fishy about this. This sounds more like a marketing decision to me than an engineering decision.

17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Toyota did change the standard from every 5k to 10K miles after the Gen III debuted. Early adopters of the 2010 were forced to change every 5K even with synthetic oil if we wanted to keep our warranty so it used to be much worse.

18. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I was referring to the old standard that oil manufacturer put out. When synthetic oil first hit the market, they claimed the oil would last 10k miles on gas-only cars. If that is true, certainly I would think synthetic oil should last at least 15k on a hybrid car. Perhaps today's synthetic oil isn't the same as the one in the old days.

19. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No, they are not the same. They are Better.

20. ImeanGreen

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have to change your oil to 15k, make sure you have a "high mileage oil filter" which the manufacturer does not offer. Maybe you also need to install a magnetic oil drain plug to help out too which I'm doing to see for myself as posted in post #15. In another forum site, a member used the magnetic drain plug and showed decrease amounts of iron content of his oil after an oil analysis was done. Here's an article from Edmund's - When Should You Change Your Oil - Edmunds.com

jnet likes this.