1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by djehres, Mar 14, 2013.

1. djehres

djehres Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2012 Prius II. I want to change the oil.

How much oil ( 0w20 ) and what is the number of the oil filter?

thanks.

2. Guill

Guill Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    djehres, I highly recommend you reference your Owner's Manual to verify this ... besides the manual has a lot of great information about your Prius.

The part number for the oil filter is:
    04152-YZZA6

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    I'm not sure the OP has a Prius v wagon. He never stated that in his post or his profile.

4. Guill

Guill Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Good point, I modified my post accordingly.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The spec'd oil volume at oil change with filter change is 4.2 liter or 4.4 quart, I believe (check the attachment). I'll usually put in 4.0 liters, which sets the the level maybe 1/4" below top mark.

You really don't need to know the part number, at least if you get the filter at a Toyota Parts Department. Just tell them what it's for. Fwiw, the filter's listed on my (Canadian) receipts as:

04152-YZZA6 Element, Filter

FYI, the filter is just the paper element, plus an oil ring to replace the one on the (permanent) Oil Filter Housing.

Toyota's OW20 is a good deal as well, on my last bill it was $6.22 (Can) per liter.

You should pick up a replacement washer for the drain plug. And again, for all of the above, just telling them what your car is is sufficient, you don't need to know the parts numbers.

Tools you should have: torque wrench, 64mm 14 point oil filter socket (or some sort of band wrench), an assortment of sockets, thin blade screw driver of some sort for removing plastic panel fasteners. Plus obviously floor jack or ramps, etcetera.

I'd suggest if you want to preserve the plastic panel under the engine: take the whole thing off. Just opening the flap, it stresses the hinge, it cracks and breaks off. That is, assuming the spec hasn't changed. There was some talk about an improvement, not sure. There are at least two kinds of fasteners, so some strategy to keep track of where they go is a good idea. Plus some bolts requiring 10mm hex socket. The attachment shows several more panels being taken off. This is totally unecessary, just the main panel will do.

Attached Files:

6. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    here's a video, have at it