1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gupchurch1349, Sep 11, 2007.

1. gupchurch1349

gupchurch1349 New Member

Just had my second oil change (10,000 miles). I checked the oil before leaving. 1/2 quart too high, way above the full mark. Had them siphon out the excess. Now reads a hair below full mark. Technician was not happy. Bottom line, one cannot trust anyone, not even a Toyota dealer. Those that work there should know better. Lesson? Check you car before driving off. Make sure they did rotate the tires (suggest marking them before you get there), engine oil level is correct. And yes check for new scratches or damage not there before the service.

2. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And don't let them charge you $75 for an oil change, tire rotation, and an "inspection." They got my GF with that one yesterday, despite my profuse warnings not to let them do whatever they felt like. I can't wait to have my own house and my own driveway in which to take care of these things myself...

3. alg

alg Junior Member

Has anyone tried going to a Goodyear dealer to see if they do free tire rotations?

4. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alg @ Sep 11 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]510853[/snapback]</div>
    I've learned not to trust Goodyear dealers. I left my car at one once, and next thing I know, they are calling me to tell me the air filter is "really dirty" and offering to install a new one. It didn't occur to me until later to wonder why, if they were changing tires, they were even opening the hood!

I think I can trust Wheel Works (so far...)

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gupchurch1349 @ Sep 11 2007, 05:48 PM) [snapback]510833[/snapback]</div>
    As Fox Mulder said, "Trust no one." My friend took his 2007 Prius to Sears for an oil change. He was quite surprised when the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and he was stuck on the NJ Turnpike. After an expensive tow to the dealer and a loaner the diagnosis was too much oil. He went back to Sears and to their credit refunded all of his expenses without a hassle.

Yes, check the level & ask to see the empty oil bottles. How do you know you got 5W30?

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gupchurch1349 @ Sep 11 2007, 05:48 PM) [snapback]510833[/snapback]</div>
    As Fox Mulder said, "Trust no one." My friend took his 2007 Prius to Sears for an oil change. He was quite surprised when the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and he was stuck on the NJ Turnpike. After an expensive tow to the dealer and a loaner the diagnosis was too much oil. He went back to Sears and to their credit refunded all of his expenses without a hassle.

Yes, check the level & ask to see the empty oil bottles. How do you know you got 5W30?

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sears is the worst. You roll down your window to tell the mechanic what's wrong, get out of the car, and they'll say, "Look! Your window is only halfway up! We'll need to replace the entire transmission to fix that!"

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sears is the worst. You roll down your window to tell the mechanic what's wrong, get out of the car, and they'll say, "Look! Your window is only halfway up! We'll need to replace the entire transmission to fix that!"

9. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Years ago Sears did the brakes on our 66 Mustang and put the drums (or something like that) on BACKWARDS! I would not have known except that a friend of ours did some work on it about 6 months later and told us.

10. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Years ago Sears did the brakes on our 66 Mustang and put the drums (or something like that) on BACKWARDS! I would not have known except that a friend of ours did some work on it about 6 months later and told us.

11. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gupchurch1349 @ Sep 11 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]510833[/snapback]</div>
    You just now figured this out? One reason why I do my own oil changes and because it is a very simple procedure to do while saving me money.

12. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gupchurch1349 @ Sep 11 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]510833[/snapback]</div>
    You just now figured this out? One reason why I do my own oil changes and because it is a very simple procedure to do while saving me money.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimgh @ Sep 12 2007, 08:05 AM) [snapback]510867[/snapback]</div>
    Is it possible they do a free check for you while they have your car? Did you see the air filter? Was it dirty? If it was then why not trust them?

As a mechanic (no longer working in the trade) I get a bit sick of this constant mechanic bashing. You go to the cheapest lube place to have a near new high tech car you say you love serviced and when the kid doing the work does what he thinks is the right thing and puts oil in a little over the full line you all squeal! Yet they charge you for UP TO 5 litres of oil so a little extra cost you nothing. Get a dymo labeler and put a label under the bonnet not to fill over 3/4 up to full from add.

When you're not happy do you politely ask for rectification or do you walk in "guns blazing"? Manners will go a long way.

Take your car to a Toyota dealer, expect to pay enough for the mechanic to be able to live on his income, take the service book into the service manager, Show him the service you want done, maybe put a postit note on the right page, write on the page any additional work you want done, Ask for your old parts back when you drop the car off, ask the price of the service when you drop the car off and after you explain the extra stuff you want done, write the price on the page of the service book. Ask to be told if there is any extra work needed, you still want to see old parts for extra work If you're not happy with one dealer find another but allow them the chance to rectify faults.

I'm happy that most Prius drivers never make mistakes, I do sometimes, sorry.

My wife's tax accountant failed to claim $400 worth of deductions the first time I used him, now I do my own tax.

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimgh @ Sep 12 2007, 08:05 AM) [snapback]510867[/snapback]</div>
    Is it possible they do a free check for you while they have your car? Did you see the air filter? Was it dirty? If it was then why not trust them?

As a mechanic (no longer working in the trade) I get a bit sick of this constant mechanic bashing. You go to the cheapest lube place to have a near new high tech car you say you love serviced and when the kid doing the work does what he thinks is the right thing and puts oil in a little over the full line you all squeal! Yet they charge you for UP TO 5 litres of oil so a little extra cost you nothing. Get a dymo labeler and put a label under the bonnet not to fill over 3/4 up to full from add.

When you're not happy do you politely ask for rectification or do you walk in "guns blazing"? Manners will go a long way.

Take your car to a Toyota dealer, expect to pay enough for the mechanic to be able to live on his income, take the service book into the service manager, Show him the service you want done, maybe put a postit note on the right page, write on the page any additional work you want done, Ask for your old parts back when you drop the car off, ask the price of the service when you drop the car off and after you explain the extra stuff you want done, write the price on the page of the service book. Ask to be told if there is any extra work needed, you still want to see old parts for extra work If you're not happy with one dealer find another but allow them the chance to rectify faults.

I'm happy that most Prius drivers never make mistakes, I do sometimes, sorry.

My wife's tax accountant failed to claim $400 worth of deductions the first time I used him, now I do my own tax.

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There's good dealers and bad dealers. As patsparks says, don't expect good service from someone who receives less than a living wage for his work, and that will be the case at discount service places, and maybe (I don't know) at some dealers.

Trusting nobody is a depressing way to live. Taking reasonable precautions makes sense.

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There's good dealers and bad dealers. As patsparks says, don't expect good service from someone who receives less than a living wage for his work, and that will be the case at discount service places, and maybe (I don't know) at some dealers.

Trusting nobody is a depressing way to live. Taking reasonable precautions makes sense.

17. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't asking for the old parts imply some level of distrust,
    unless it's clear that some level of fault-analysis will be done?
    Is that a subtler form of "guns a-blazin'" in some peoples' minds?
    Still, people shouldn't be faulted for calling BS where BS exists.
    _H*

18. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't asking for the old parts imply some level of distrust,
    unless it's clear that some level of fault-analysis will be done?
    Is that a subtler form of "guns a-blazin'" in some peoples' minds?
    Still, people shouldn't be faulted for calling BS where BS exists.
    _H*

19. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 12 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]511194[/snapback]</div>
    When you get on the road, you are trusting everyone.....but I do not expect this to remove any depression.

20. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 12 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]511194[/snapback]</div>
    When you get on the road, you are trusting everyone.....but I do not expect this to remove any depression.