1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by WalMartSucks, May 16, 2008.

1. WalMartSucks

WalMartSucks New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So I had the oil changed at Wal-Mart and I see a ton of oil on the floor now. I was on this forum a long time ago and remember reading about people having the oil changed at other places other than the Toyota Dealership and quiet a few had issue after they did that because apparently not everyone knows how to properly change the oil.

So anyway, I'm going to the Toyota dealership to see what's up in a couple of days, but was just curious to see if anyone knows what exactly happened, how it would be fixed and if it's a big deal. The car drives fine.. I wont' drive it any more though before it's fixed.

Thanks in advance!

2. charansr

charansr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i had a similar problem with my other car a 2005 Civic. It was no big deal in my case. While draining the old oil they seemed to some how direct it into one of the under carriage covers which kept dripping in my drive way. I took it back to them and he actually showed me exactly what he said. If i were you i would take the car back to Walmart to see what they say rather than go to the dealer and pay them to inspect the car.

3. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check your oil levels... is it empty?

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oil drips from a loose filter, a loose drain plug, or running down the side of the ICE from the top. Or from a reservoir in a panel, as charansr mentioned. It's pretty easy to tighten the first two, see John1701a's Oil Change Guide.

Use the dip stick to make sure there's oil in the ICE before driving anywhere.

5. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    don't use wonder world.

find a good local shop, or just go to the dealer with your own oil.
    or better yet change your own, keep receipts and only take the car in under warranty for the other stuff and show them the receipts...and make them log it.

6. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Probably either a loose filter, or they forgot to put a new washer on the drain bolt.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is why I use only a dealer for scheduled service. They have a better chance of knowing what they're doing than do the places with more employee turnover.

And always, always, always, check the oil yourself before driving away from any oil change, no matter who did it. This gives you a chance to find errors before they become annoying or expensive.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or maybe there are two washers on the drain plug.

If your oil level is below the lower dimple on the dipstick, I suggest that you not drive the car, or risk engine damage. If you can, get under the car with a flashlight and figure out where the oil leak is coming from.

9. Buckland

Buckland New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I get my oil changed regularly, and keep notes on it in the appropriate place in the manual. And I always get the work done at the dealership, even when I crunched the spoiler (that one hurt).

Buck

10. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    They could have:

1. Tightened the drain plug improperly
    2. Used two washers because they did not remove the original
    3. Used no washers
    4. Tightened the oil filter improperly
    5. Used the wrong oil filter
    6. Spilled new oil in the engine compartment that is now dripping off the engine.

I think in the WalMart service world, any of the above are possible.