1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. itengineer

itengineer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all -

So, I will be coming up on my 40K service soon.
    Is it still recommended to use the dealership for OIL changes?
    I know some people do their own oil changes but I prefer to have a shop do it just so I do not have to deal with the mess.

If not the dealership, what are some recommended places? is walmart okay?

2. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well you could bring your own Toyota oil and filter and have any oil place do it, they may charge from $20-$25 just for the labor. I have done that with my old truck.

3. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Oil changes at a dealership, at least around here, are competitively priced. They use the good oil and filters. Just try to keep them from upselling you on cabin/air filters and the like.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you have someone other than the dealer change your oil, either take your own oil and filter as recommended above, or be sure they use high quality 0W20 synthetic oil (such as Mobile 1) and a high quality, high mileage oil filter. Walmart carries the Mobile 1 oil so they should be able to provide this for you.

Also be sure to check your oil level before you leave and make sure they do not overfill. It takes about 4.5 quarts and some like to use all of 5 quarts which will result in an overfill. 4 quarts will take you about 1/2 way between the low and high marks on your dipstick.