1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Changes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by StarOrc, Dec 4, 2006.

1. StarOrc

StarOrc New Member

I just bought a 2001 Prius in September and am getting to the point where I think its about time for an oil change. I just wanted to know a few things:
    Are there any differences changing the oil in a Prius than a typical car? Is it typcial to do the oil change yourself or to have it done at a garage?
    How often do people typically do oil changes with Prius'?
    What type of oil do you typically use and how much?

Thanks

Corey

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Any place you trust for a normal car's oil change should be fine for your Prius. I'd suggest using the amount and type of oil called for in your owner's manual. I DIY, and use Mobil 1 5w30, and fill it up to just below the top mark on the disptick, roughly 3.5 quarts. As for frequency of oil changes, I do them every 5K miles, some folks suggest longer intervals. There's a lot of threads here about oil and oil changes, probably more than you'd ever want to know. Congrats on the new Prius and Happy Motoring!

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StarOrc @ Dec 4 2006, 10:37 PM) [snapback]357793[/snapback]</div>
    I use moble 1 5w30.
    I change it myself.
    I have a fumoto oil drain valve to make it easyer.
    I do it every 5000 miles.
    I use just over 3 quarts to keep it between the dots on the oil stick.

4. vuapplepudding

vuapplepudding New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StarOrc @ Dec 4 2006, 10:37 PM) [snapback]357793[/snapback]</div>
    Congrats on your new baby. Do a search on oil change.

As for me, I change my own oil. Some people use a jack to lift one side of the PRIUS to get more clearancee, but I feel that this is a little too risky for me. I use the plastic ramps bought from Wal-mart. I was afraid that the ramps would bee too high but works fine. The high torque electric motor makes climbing these baby easy.

Some people can change the oil even without elevating the car at all. I like to lift the PRIUS up and inspect the entire car while I am down there.

Get yourself a oil filter socket adapter. Sometimes the filter is too tight to remove by hand. Some people suggest the metal ones, I just got the plastic one at again Wally world for $4. Personal preference.

I use synthetic 5W30. Cost more but I fell it wil protect my engine with all the start and stops.

Enjoy!!!

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For the Classic model, like your 2001, the recommended US change interval is 7,500 miles.

It's really easy to do too. The offset engine, outward facing drain plug, and short front-end makes reaching stuff really convenient. This document provides details. (But note that the filter clearance was improved with the HSD model.)