1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Changing Easy or Difficult?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by offersk, Dec 28, 2005.

1. offersk

offersk Junior Member

I've been changing the oil in my last 2 cars and have found it very easy to do.

Since the Prius is so close to the ground:
    1) Is it difficult to get under there and change the oil?
    2) Does the plastic under the car make it difficult to access the oil filter?

I'm picking up my Prius on Monday 1/2/06 and need to know how difficult the oil changes are prior to taking delivery as I have to decide on whether to purchase a dealer oil change package or just continue to do it myself.

Thanks!

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

did it yesterday on the 2k4 and it took 12 minutes start to finish in the carport. I made up two 2x12blocks with a bit of strapping on one end so the car won't push them out of the way and once up on them slide the drain pan under pull plug and drain oil. The filter is easy if you have the right tool which is a cup type wrench that goes on a 6" extension and a ratchet. This is easier than most as the drain plug is close to the front of the car. I have an old mat that I throw down and lay on. If your used to doing oil changes this is no different.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think it is one of the easier cars for changing oil. The drain plug is right there toward the front of the car and the filter is just behind the engine and easy to reach from underneath. You need one of the filter wrenches that fits over the end of the filter and that you can turn with a ratchet.

4. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    easy access to the filter...if you're on the thin side, as the Prius is fairly low to the ground. Otherwise I can squeeze my head under the front and see the small oil filter no prob. I've installed a Fumoto drain on the oil pan so flipping that to drain is easy. Get a short oil-catch pan as the taller ones may not fit under there.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  6. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
  7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Fumoto valve took all of the work out of oil change for me. Check them out @ http://www.fumotovalve.com/

It usually takes me about 30 minutes to change the oil and rotate the tires.

8. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So having the front end lifted up won't effect the drainage?

And note to John...looks like you need to get an undercarriage wash, the Minnesota salt looks like it's eating away at your car!

9. cdavid

cdavid Member

Is it right that the same part fumoto valve fits all modern Toyotas, be it a Prius, Sienna, etc?

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You wouldn't believe how horrible the whole car looks right now. Winter is pretty cruel up here... the perfect proving ground for our favorite technology!

By the way, it looks like I'll need to add a note of my own. Have any of you noticed the other oil filter? The last number for the part is a 2 rather than a 1. That means it came from Thailand instead of the United States.

This oil filter appears to be nearly identical, with the exception of it being about 1/8 inch shorter (making it a closer match than the one from Japan). The odd part is the gasket is lubricated with some type of goo and the whole end is sealed in shrinkwrap.

Has anyone else used this one yet? I've got just a little over 1,000 miles on the one I installed.

11. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

thousands a year as that is the standard forklift filter. I bought 8 filters from work that are the origional Prius number and apparently they are no longer available. Guess I should buy the rest of them.

12. offersk

offersk Junior Member

Thanks for all the info!

So do most of you:
    1) jack the car up to change the oil or
    2) are you able to simply slide underneath and reach the oil filter and drain plug?

Thanks!

13. Stevep

Stevep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Which valve fits the Prius? I hope I ordered the right one. I got the one that fits " all other vehicles". The number is F104. I also ordered one for my other vehicle. I hate fighting to get the plug out.

14. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I installed the F-103. Don't go for the nipple, it adds about 1/2 inch and is not needed.

15. johnnieliu

johnnieliu New Member

Anyone use car ramps? I'm concerned whether the front of the vehicle will clear the ramps.

16. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If it weren't so true I'd be more offended. :D

I use ramps to elevate my front wheels. I know that people have indicated this affects the oil flow, is unnecesary, etc. For me, it's just easier to get under it.

17. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I kept Hobbit's old post for my reference --

Finally changed the oil tonight; only slightly overdue. After
    reading a bunch of oil-filter quality surveys I went with a Napa
    [aka Wix] gold 1394. Getting at everything was easy; I cranked
    up the *driver's* front jack point to both make space underneath
    and tilt the car to the right, making the bottom of the oil pan
    slightly "downhill" for more complete drainage. The old filter
    came off fairly easily by hand. 3.5 quarts of Mobil 1 back in,
    ~1/4" shy of the "full" dot on the dipstick and based on the
    stunning quantity of oil-overfill rants out there in the forums,
    I think I'll just leave it right where it is.

18. kk6yb

kk6yb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just installed one of those a few days ago (my Prius' first oil change) but I've only put about 100 miles on it since then.

The only problem I had was getting the old filter off. The end cap wrench kept slipping and every other wrench I tried slipped or couldn't fit up there. It seemed like the Toyota factory filter was smaller (on the end) than the wrench, which fit the Toyota replacement filter fine. So the whole job ended up taking 3 hours include 3 trips to get different oil filter wrenches.

19. justinc

justinc New Member

I purchased Rhino Ramps from Autozone a few years ago, and they work very well for sports cars, or cars with low bumpers/skirts.

Justinc

20. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Right tools, no ramps, 20 minutes, piece of cake.