1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil consumption in new Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Former Member 68813, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had my 2010 Prius II for 6 weeks and ~1600 miles. Last two weekends I did some hwy driving, 600 miles all together at 70-75 MPH. Gentle city driving only prior to that. Car had only 7 miles when new.

Today I checked oil and it's low ~200 cc (1/5 distance between min and max marks on dipstick). It was full 2 weeks ago.

I do understand that 200 cc is not much and well below Toyota's max allowed consumption of 1 qt/1000 miles. I also understand that engines con consume more oil while breaking in and and specially during high speed hwy driving. However, I have never seen that in the last several cars that I bought brand new (this is my 3rd new Toyota BTW).

Anyone else noticed anything similar?

Other than this and some rare random rattles, the car is great and I get 60+ MPG in city and slightly under 50 MPG on Hwy.

2. cobradb

cobradb Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1/5 is within margin error of measuring,, same parking spot?, same time with eng off?

just keep and eye on it,, i never put more than 4 qts in mine, which means its not at the full mark

3. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, same spot and position in my garage. The car sat off overnight. No big temp difference. I measured 3 times to be sure. I was planning to add oil but I guess I can just wait and observe. BTW, I'm anal about engine oils and have been BITOG member for many years.

Edit: I googled for 2zr-fxe oil consumption and found nothing relevant.
    However, I found oil consumption issues in 2zr-fe (same engine minus the Atkinson cycle): http://www.toyotapart.com/1ZR-FE_ENGINE_OIL_CONSUMPTION_T-SB-0145-08.pdf

Coincidence?

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you sure the car was full of oil when you got it?

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You don't have to wait 5,000 miles for the first oil and filter change. You might also include the transaxle oil in the first change too. An early change will get much of the latent manufacturing and early wear material out . . . or wait 5,000 miles.

Bob Wilson

6. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was full when I bought it and as recently as 2 weeks ago.

7. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No record of oil consumption in my unit. Hwy, city, and multiple roads, with hills also.
    Did went from new to 1st oil change (9k mi) without losing readable level (full mark always).

8. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You might want to slow down a little! Sorry, couldn't pass that one up!

I'll have to check mine today and see, it has just under 3000 miles on it, so it will be interesting to see. Haven't really checked it since I got it home...

9. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. Almost exactly what you describe. Mine is an early build--before they switched to 10K OCI. I had about 500-600 mi on it when I took it for its first 'road trip'--an all day drive down to/through the NC mountains and back. It used probably about 1/3 qt. I didn't worry much; soon it was at 5K and time for the first OC as per the manufacturer's instructions at the time.

Then, on the second fill, almost the same thing happened on a different road-trip. On the third fill, I took the exact same aforementioned NC road trip and she didn't consume a drop. (She did, however, return about 60 mpg in mountainous driving, 70-75 mph or a bit more as traffic went, with the AC blasting and the outdoor temps in the upper 90s/low 100s F. Not bad...).

So, all said and done, I chalk it up to the engine wearing in, and I'm not worried. Just keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Welcome, and don't be surprised to see your fuel economy improve.
    ~T

1 person likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a slight misassumption there: the difference between the two marks on the oil dipstick represents 1.5 liters, according to the Owners Manual.

11. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If so, I'm down ~300 cc.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Agreed, and that does seem excessive, I'd keep an eye on it. My typical experience with various cars is maybe 1/2 liter, or a bit more, per oil change interval.

13. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just wanted to warn the OP that there is a very slight possibility that the O ring on the oil filter housing may have unseated when a filter was installed from the factory. It may just be leaking a little. I know that this is most likely not the case, but for piece of mind I would have to take a look if it were my car and it was consuming oil. Since the car has so few miles, this may just be the engine breaking in.