1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil dipstick shows 1/4 inch over top mark

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bluedogpoker, Jul 29, 2005.

1. bluedogpoker

bluedogpoker New Member

Just had my oil changed at 10,000 miles. Went to Amsoil 5W-20 with their filter. When i got home, checked the dipstick and it shows about 1/4 inch over the top mark. I gave them the filter and oil (4 quarts). I know the manual says 3.9qts. Anyone else have this situation. How'd you handle it?

Bluedog (guy with the oil plug that came out at 6000miles right after oil change at the dealer's place).

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That is an overfill. Not necessarily a big deal as that is how many a Prii come from the factory, but many here on PriusChat have stated it lowers their MPGs.

Page 286 of the owner’s manual states, “Avoid overfilling, or the hybrid system could be damaged.â€

Exactly how much of an overfill is damaging to you Prius is not something I wish to investigate by trial and error.

Me personally, I’d take the car back to the folks who did the oil change and have them remove the excess. If it was a Toyota dealer, they SHOULD know better, but there are lots of reports that dealers consistently overfill the oil in the Prius, and that they are all over the board on proper inflation of the tires.

On the tire inflation front, the dealer had done mine three times.

First time the receipt said 42psi all around.
    Second time 34psi all around.

This time, two day ago, after making sure that the service writer stated on the form for the tires to be inflated according to the spec’s on the door frame, the service techs wrote that the tires were inflated to 35 front and 33 rear. The next morning when I checked I had four different readings . . . the fronts were 36/34 and the rears were 30/34. They had also left grease on the inside door handle and arm rest. I took the car back and the Service Manager was very apologetic and they took care of me asap. I checked this morning . . . 35/33.

This time they got the oil fill perfect. I gave them four quarts of Mobil 1 and asked for the empties back and that I wanted to save the extra 1/10 for any future top off.

There are lots of strings on PriusChat regarding this subject . . . just search “oil overfill.â€

P.S. Place your location in your profile. It is semi-required (Danny asks for it) and it may help you receive the correct answer to future questions.