1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil drain plug gasket (washer) question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rudiger, Nov 3, 2007.

1. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went to two different Toyota dealers to pick up an oil drain plug gasket and got two different parts:

90430-12031 - Made of aluminum - ('crush') washer.

90430-12028 - Made of lighter, non-metal, compressed material, half the price of the aluminum 'crush' washer.

While I suspect that the first aluminum 'crush' washer is the actual, correct part, would there be any problem (maybe even a benefit) to using the second, cheaper washer?

Could it even be possible that, unlike the more expensive aluminum 'crush' washer that permanently 'forms' to the plug and hole, the second washer does not form as permanently and can be reused for many more oil changes?

2. stukid

stukid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Nov 3 2007, 07:46 AM) [snapback]534264[/snapback]</div>
    The 12031 is the factory gasket, and can be reused numerous times, while the 12028 is the usual replacement, to be replaced at every drain interval.
    The 12028 can be purchased in bag sets of 10 per bag.
    Consult your service manual for proper drain plug torque spes. The 12028 can and will crack if overtightened. (which is better than stripping the threads!!)

3. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I guess that makes sense.

If you want to change the gasket at every oil change, use the cheaper 12028.

If you want to reuse the gasket and make it last for a few more changes, it's better to use the more expensive 12031.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have only ever used the fibre gaskets and they can be reused may times over. My RAV4 is still using the original gasket at 177,000km I haven't seen an aluminium washer on a Toyota except on vehicles with a big drain like early Crowns and Coronas.

Good advice stukid, There is no need to over tighten the sump plug, I use a short combination spanner and the oil filter is tight enough if hand tightened as tight as you can without tools.

5. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Would the torque recommendation for the oil drain plug (28 ft-lbs was what I was using with the OEM aluminum washer) differ depending on the type of gasket used?