1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil extractor recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by web1b, Sep 28, 2011.

1. web1b

web1b Active Member

Has anyone tried the oil extractor kits you connect to the dipstick on their Gen III Prius?
    The local dealers are not able change the oil without overfilling, so I will probably remove the excess with a hand pump after every oil change instead of hassling with returning the car for them to drain the excess.

I have the little pump that you can get from Blackstone Labs to get an oil sample for testing, but you only get a few CCs out at a time.

2. olerox

olerox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have used a suction pump when changing crankcase oil in an inboard sailboat (since you cannot get under it to drain the oil). It's about the size of a bike tire pump but has a long 18" plastic hose from the bottom which sucks instead of pumping. It had about 1 pint capacity per suck.

You might try a marine supply store in your area if there is such an animal. Or here is one on eBay. And I see a plastic one for $5 shipped also.

Motor Drain Oil Fluid Suction Siphon Gun Pump NEW L@@K | eBay

3. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been using a Mityvac 7300 fluid extractor for over 10 years and on many, many different vehicles. It's a pneumatic version which is much easier since it's air compressor powered. (They also make a hand pump version) It's a bit over kill for what you're wanting it for but if you're going that far, just do your own oil change so you know it's done right.

Before all the naysayers chime in, I've done testing on each vehicle to make sure it's removing all the oil. Yes, it does. Every four or five changes, I'll change it the normal way to check the magnetic drain plug I installed. It has never ever been a problem.

4. web1b

web1b Active Member

There was one review on Amazon for an oil extractor where they said the hose fell off and got stuck inside the dipstick and the dealer charged $500 to remove it.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Crap. RTFP
    (read the full post)
    Reply deleted.

Nope. I haven't used them. I think I'd just pop a flare over whatever Toyota uses for a customer care feedback system until the dealer got the point.

Good Luck!

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I first got my Mityvac around 12 years ago to make servicing automatic transmissions much easier. Most autos do NOT have a drain plug

There is nothing like a hot shower of ATF to wake you up

With the Mityvac I can get the pan almost empty, no more hot ATF shower

I have tried the Mityvac a couple of times on my Prius and my FJ. But with the Prius and especially the FJ, oil changes are so easy I don't even bother

7. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    depending on how far down the oil is that you are trying to get to, you can use a turkey baster, you can even attach a small length of tubing if you need to get down further

8. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Mityvac tube is very long. Even when fully inserted to the bottom of the oil pan, there's a few feet of tube sticking out the top before the first joint. It's thick plastic tubing.

It's not like a little short 12" piece of tube that's going to fall into a deep hole like that review leads you to believe.

9. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I read many reviews before I settled on this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MTB83M
    It's been working well for me (gen 2 Prius and Honda Odyssey). :)

10. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They dont sell that model anymore.

11. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    That's too bad! :( I am glad I bought one while it was still available. It's sad to see well constructed products being replaced by cheaper ones.

12. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
  13. web1b

web1b Active Member

I read the reviews of these types of devices on Amazon and the 5 star reviews are from people who have used the devices once, brand new out of the box. What concerned me were all the 1 star reviews from people saying they do not hold up for multiple uses. The seals deteriorate quickly over time and oil starts leaking out of the pump handle when you use it, especially when using synthetic oil like the Prius uses. It makes it look like you have to buy a new extractor after every couple of uses.

14. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have one Pela oil extractor and used it on my VW TDI. Every thing was easy to access under the hood. ie the Filter and dip stick. I did all my oil and filter changes with the extractor. It did a great job of removing all the oil in the oil filter housing which was upright and the top unscrewed...
    It came with three different size tubes. Perhaps made of teflon ?))))
    In any case, you have to make sure that you don't have any or very very little resistance while inserting the hard - teflon - tubes into the oil dip stick until it bottoms out on the oil pan.
    Just four to six pumps on the tank will extract 5 to 6 qts.

I have not use it on my Prius because of the location of the oil filter.
    I change the Prius the usual way. Remember,,,,, that oil filter is a must change each time.

15. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yes I was concerned about that as well when I bought mine. So far (a bit over 2 years) it still works fine. I haven't used it many times, but if for some reason the oil attacks the seal then I think time is the major factor, not the frequency of use. I can be wrong of course.

16. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    griot's garage sells several of them as well, and sells great stuff

but really, if this is a constant thing, you should be thinking about where you are taking your car for service. If they are that careless on a consistant basis, with one thing, it isn't unreasonable to question how good they are at paying attention to stuff you aren't seeing. Do you really want a business that can't do a simple oil change without screwing it up, to be working on say your brakes?

17. web1b

web1b Active Member

I just got the extra oil drained by the dealer, so I won't bother buying the extractor for now. The oil level now shows just slightly under the max fill dot.

See this post:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...3-poorly-designed-dipstick-4.html#post1396255

Next time I will have to have the service advisor write on the on the paperwork *** Do not fill oil past maximum fill mark!!! *** before they take the car away for the 30K service and hopefully this issue will not happen 3 times in a row.

18. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Geesh...IMO, if you are doing the oil change yourself? Then whatever tools you want to apply is entirely up to you.

But if you are having a dealership or other service center do your Oil Change and paying them? You shouldn't have to worry about extracting Oil because they have overfilled. If they routinely do so? If they make up some bogus excuse as to why overfilled is Okay? Then they simply would not get my business.

It's a shame that this practice seems so common that owners have had to investigate tools to use to keep this from happening.

My last Oil fill...(honda fit) the dealership overfilled. They weren't particularly happy but they couldn't deny it, and to their credit they didn't try to make up some story as to why "above the filled mark" was okay. They took it back and drained some out.

I just think this problem is more a dealership training issue. The Prius, like the Fit has an odd fill capacity. But that is no excuse. You work to do Oil Changes on these vehicles, knowing the capacity and how to fill properly should be part of the job.

Sad that this happening is so common that owners are forced to buy pumps and extraction tools simply to right what dealership service centers are doing wrong.

By the way, the only "excuse" the service manager tried to use was that I had requested and provide individual quarts of synthetic Oil, and in his own words, most of the techs were Lazy and use to the automatic fill of the bulk oil, which is supposedly metered.

Lousy excuse again, IMO. Every technician should know the fill capacity of every vehicle inwhich they are changing the oil. Especially true in a dealership service center when concievably you are seeing the same models over, and over.

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Good Luck. Hate to tell you, but I've communicated this concern to the fabled "Service Advisor" and made sure that notes to that effect are put on the paperwork.

Despite assurances there is simply no way to know if it's being done right unless you are standing there watching them do the work.

I'm afraid some Techs simply see "Do Oil Change" and really read no further...