1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Filter and Crush Washer Confirmation

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Maxwellian, May 20, 2013.

1. Maxwellian

Maxwellian Planetary Gearhead

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    First off, let me apologize for posting a question regarding oil changing, which has been discussed a lot. But I feel the need to get some clarification, and I know this is the place to get it.

I went in last Saturday for my free 6 month/5,000 mile service, with about 4,200 miles after 6 months. The service tech made a point of telling me that the oil change interval is 12 mos./10,000 miles, so there would be no oil change. I was of course aware of that. I have read the arguments for and against going with the 10,000 mile interval, and I am still conflicted. I have never let a car go much over 5,000 miles between changes, so am considering just going ahead and changing it at 5,000 miles. (It seems at worst to be a potential waste of money, which I consider a small price for peace of mind.) So after my free service was complete, I went up to the parts window and asked for a filter and the drain plug washer for a 2012 Prius C. The parts person came back with a little box and what appeared to be some sort of fiber washer. I figured he knew what he was doing, so I paid him the $11 he asked for (I actually got five of the washers to cover future oil changes) and left. The oil filter box looked pretty small, so I opened it when I got home and found some sort of cartridge-type filter, not the expected standard oil filter canister. So I came to this forum, did a search and found this thread:

http://priuschat.com/threads/first-oil-change-pictures-instructions.107696/page-2#post-1732029

This seems to indicate that my Prius C should use a canister-type filter, and that if anything there should be some sort of metallic washer or crush ring on the oil drain plug. Does anybody know what the parts guy sold me? Does the regular Prius use the filter type that I got, i.e, could he have not heard the ā€œCā€ when I asked for the parts for my Prius C? Does the fiber-type washer sound right for any model?

Thanks.

2. H. L. Pony

H. L. Pony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Prius C should take the common "spin on" 90915-YZZF2.

If you are really in doubt, the easiest way is just to peek into the engine bay. The part number on a factory installed oil filter is different, but you'll be able to confirm that it's a small black conventional filter.