1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Filter Canister

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Harrinj, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Harrinj

Harrinj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi all,

Does the 2010 Prius oil filter canister have any locks on it? I've jacked up my 2010 Prius twice now to change the oil and filter but can't get the $#!@$ filter off. The first time I just used a standard oil filter wrench. I finally ordered a heavy duty 64mm filter cup from Amazon ($17 plus shipping) and it fits like a glove - but still couldn't get it to budge. I noticed there seems to be a metal clip on the base and was wondering if this is a lock, and if so, how many are there?

Also, I noticed the fiberboard hinged door covering the oil filter and drain plug is missing on my Prius. I assume Toyota covered the bottom of the entire engine cavity to smooth out air flow for increased mileage. How critical is it to replace this section? As always, appreciate the help...

J.D.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi JD,
    Yes, there is a metal tab that is suppose to stop the cap from coming off... With that said, when I put the wrench on it is never in the way.

geeter had this same problem and had to go to the dealer to have them remove the cap. They over torqued the darn thing. The first oil change I did, it was also on there quite tight but I gave it a good tug and it came off.

As for the door, yes it is suppose to be there but has a tendency to fall off. There is a TSB out there and I plan to stop at my dealer today on the way home to see if they will replace mine. The TSB covers the entire under-cover.

3. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just another me too - a local shop does my oil - but they closed - so took it to a different place. They spent 20 minutes working on it - were almost ready to give up, then a different tech played a bit and got it off...

The guy at the shop mentioned he thought I should buy an extra of whatever the plastic part is - in case it breaks/strips in the future (not sure what he was talking about)....

4. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same here. There is a Toyota TSB that specifically addresses the crappy oil filter canister design (but it doesn't 'yet' apply to the Prius):

http://www.toyotapart.com/OIL_FILTER_CAP_ASSEMBLY_PRECAUTIONS_T-SB-0104-09.pdf

This was issued on April 10, 2009, so it looks like Toyota is well aware of the poor design.

Here's my favorite part of the TSB:

"There is a possiblity the oil filter cap will be difficult to remove if the torque range is exceeded"...

With many of the 2010 Priuses now beginning to come out of the 'free' maintenance period (i.e., two free oil changes), I suspect this is going to become rather something of a Prius issue, as well, as more owners try to change their own oil and discover that the dealership grease monkeys have used excessive force in torquing down the oil filter canister.

Does anyone happen to know the part number/price to get a replacement plastic oil filter canister should the old one become damaged or deformed? Might be something to be handy to have...