1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

oil filter change out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by brin wood, Oct 16, 2013.

1. brin wood

brin wood Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does it require a special tool to remove and replace the oil filter on Prius ll ?
    Is Royal Purple worth the cost for this car.? $50. for 4 qts. and filter. and DIY.

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can buy a adapter that will fit a 3/8 drive ratchet. The adapter will fit on the end of the filter for easy removal and installation. You could use a big pair of channel locks to get the old filter off. Just make sure you tighten up the new one properly. Strong hands and a clean rag or gloves will help. 3/4 turn after gasket touches is specified for the correct torque.

Royal Purple is really expensive. Everyone has their own brand. Mobil 1 does a great job in our Gen II (09). Synthetic oil is recommended here on PC, the manufacturer did not specify synthetic until Gen III. I have noted that the Mobil 1 (synthetic oil) has increased the MPG.

Oil filter is properly tightened when the gasket touches the base and then 3/4 turn after that.

Drain plug on oil pan should be torqued to 27 foot lbs. Also replace the crush washer on the plug when you change the oil. Any Toyota dealer will have the correct oil filter and the crush washer.

3.5 quarts is sufficient for the oil change and filter. 3.9 is MAX - 4 quarts is TOO MUCH. Don't overfill as this can cause problems down the road.

To reset the maintenance light do the following steps.

1) Confirm that your Odometer is set to "odometer" (ie. NOT to Trip A or Trip B)
    2) Start with the car off.
    3) Press and hold the ODO button...don't release it until the process is complete
    4) put the car in either Ignition On (2 presses of power button without pressing the brake) or Ready (one push with foot on brake).
    5) Watch the area where the odometer reading shows up...it will show zeros that become dashes, then flashes to the regular odometer reading. Once you see that you can release the odo button and turn off the car.

This will reset the maint req. light which will flash on briefly in 4500 miles and come on and stay on in 5000 miles.

krmcg likes this.
  4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    since I began doing my own oil changes, I don't use any tools at all -- except the tire jack

I installed a fumoto valve (replaces the drain pan plug). I can take off the oil filter with just my hands -- no wrench needed -- and of course -- you don't use a wrench to install the new filter.

BTW, I wear Nitrile gloves (vinyl or latex would work). Hate the lingering smell of oil on my hands, as well as dirty fingernails.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Good to wear gloves. More than just the smell: used oil is recognized as a carcinigen.