1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Filter Won't Unscrew

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tak, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Tak

Tak New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unscrewed counterclockwise. won't budge. Tore filter - removed core - Looks like the filter is attached to a rod what was attached to the engine with a large Allen Head wrench. Can I use an Allen Head wrench or is there a better way to detach the filter.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never seen this,
    Did someone tighten the filter with a tool? They should only be fitted hand tight.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you could use an Allen key socket to remove the threaded oil filter union. Note the tightening torque of that part is 22 ft.-lb, when you reassemble it.

After you remove the oil filter union, I hope you will be able to separate the filter remnants from the union.

4. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow! someone really screwed that sucker on too tight! Like Pat says---22ftlbs max should be applied.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tightening torque spec of the oil filter itself is 13 ft.-lb. However I just rotate the filter 1/2 turn by hand after the gasket contacts the machined surface.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've had to deal with this a couple of times in my life. It happens when some monkey at a garage puts an oil filter on super tight and dry.

I've been forced to carefully chisle off the remains of the oil filter mounting base

That really is the only way to get it off now. Be careful not to gouge the mating surface, or you may have a leak