1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Filter Wrench

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by calabrsn, Mar 22, 2009.

1. calabrsn

calabrsn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    It was time for my first oil change but I couldn't find an oil filter wrench that would fit the factory installed oil filter. I bought the smallest cap wrench available but it was too large. Also, tried several different jaw wrenches that I had, but again, all still too large.

For those of you who change your own oil, what type of filter wrench do you use?

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    hmmm, I just use an oil filter cap wrench I bought at an auto store. Last time I changed the oil the filter was on tight and the wrench kept slipping, so I tapped it on and then didn't have a problem.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Got mine (cap wrench) at the dealer. I figured I could probably find one that fits at an auto parts store. But I had more confidence the dealer would sell me the right one, and that saved me some time shopping and potentially getting the wrong one.

I do hope you realized the wrench wouldn't fit before you opened the drain plug. ;)

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you bring the replacement oil filter with you when shopping for an oil filter wrench. I have three: a cap wrench (which can slip if the filter is on very tight), a wrench that has three fingers (which also can slip if the filter is on too tight) and a band wrench made for small filters (which works best when the filter is on tight, but service clearances are not optimal when using that wrench.)

Jim offered a good suggestion regarding buying a cap wrench at the Toyota dealer's parts dept to avoid fit problems.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The best advice offered here was to get one from the dealership - which appears to be high quality - or take the dealership filter to a parts store and try out different cap sockets until one fits snuggest

I should warn you that the filter from the factory can be on super tight. Even if you get the cap socket from the dealership, don't be surprised if you end up screaming the F Bomb at it before it starts to budge

6. calabrsn

calabrsn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I actually went to an auto parts stores, picked out an aftermarket oil filter for the Prius, and then picked out a cap wrench that fit that filter, whicc happened to be the smallest cap wrench that they carried. But, the Toyota filter is just slightly smaller than the aftermarket. I guess I'll just have to go buy a Toyota filter and then fit it and buy another wrench to add to my collection of oil filter wrenches that I have acquired over the years.

You would think they could standardize to a minimal number of different sizes.......

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And miss out on the lucrative Special Service Tool market? Meh! Like vacuum cleaners, if I designed them, all would take the same standard vacuum bag, which produced in such enormous quantities a package of 20 might cost $4.39

Instead, I'm at Canadian Tire, where they have an enormous WALL of different vacuum cleaner bags, and it takes me 5-15 minutes to find the F Bomb thing because they keep moving them around on me ...

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use my hand and brute force.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, this is typical. However it's OK to have a large collection of wrenches, because you'll be better prepared to help neighbors, friends, relatives, etc. as requested... :p

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I sometimes have to do that too, and it puts me in a foul mood, especially if I burn my hand. I then scream the F Bomb at the part in question

That's good actually. It scares the neighbors and they rarely ask for my help!

11. ttabbal

ttabbal New Member

I have decided that the Prius will now get the K&N oil filter. A little more expensive, but has a 1" nut on the end. I can then use a real wrench or socket to get as much torque as the case can take. Not that it's ever all that much, as I don't over-tighten my oil filters. :)

The difference is about $10/year, I'm OK with that. :)

12. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had no problem getting a cap at Advance auto parts that fits the factory filter perfectly.

13. bif

bif Gas Saver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can buy a strap wrench at any auto supply store. they come with an extension so you can use any 3/8 ratchet or breakhandle. You can use them on any filter in very tight areas.

14. wag

wag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The end cap wrench from NAPA was just a bit loose and wanted to stay attached to the filter. One layer of duct tape to the inside of the wrench solved the problem.

Wayne

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Both loose and stuck ? ;-)

16. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I got my end cap "socket" from AutoZone. I call it a socket rather than a wrench since it simply takes a 3/8" extension and ratchet. I also had a bit of a problem with it slipping until I added a layer or two of tape to the inside of the socket as someone mentioned above.

PA P

17. nownow

nownow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Love the strap wrench! Basically a square stick of aluminum with a loop of seat-belt on/in it...and a hole in the aluminum that fits a 3/8 drive. The clearance on my Volvo was much much worse than this, and that's the only thing I could get to work well on that filter.

I got this idea for a variation from a strap wrench at my uncle's shop:

I had a piece of seat-belt laying around (actually a little thinner, from a car-seat tether) and I just put that in a loop in a vice-grip, loop it around the filter, and twist the vice-grip in the right direction. It works very very well. Maybe a little hard to visualize, but it makes a lot of sense when you get the loop near the filter. It even works pretty well if the filter is oily.