1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. CrazyRussian

CrazyRussian Junior Member

Guys,

I'm about to hit my first oil change and was wondering what other are using for the oil filter replacement. What model, what brand, from what store.

TIA

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CrazyRussian @ Jun 23 2006, 05:04 PM) [snapback]275992[/snapback]</div>
    Try ebay. Search for prius oil filter or something like that. A while ago, I got 10 Toyota OEM oil filters for $35!

3. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Jun 23 2006, 05:17 PM) [snapback]275996[/snapback]</div>
    The dealership where we bought our Prius sells and ships parts online. Their price for 10 Toyota OEM oil filters is $31.53 plus $8.00 shipping. http://www.toyotapartsdelivered.com

In other cars I prefer Purolator and avoid Fram like the plague, based on many reviews that concur. At these prices I prefer Toyota's excellent Denso oil filters.

You might consider the slightly longer oil filter for higher output Toyota 4 cylinder engines, such as a recent 4 cylinder Camry, Highlander, Rav4, Scion TC or the GT-S version of a Celica, Matrix, or Corolla. It was also used in the old turbo versions of the MR2 and Celica. The part number is 90915-YZZF1, as opposed to our OEM 90915-YZZF2. I know these fit and believe the only difference is the larger F1 has more filter material with greater capacity, resistance to blockage, and less backpressure. It seems to offer around 50% more filtering performance for the same price.

Can Galaxee or anyone confirm this? Is there any disadvantage to using the larger 90915-YZZF1 filter aside from requiring a few ounces more oil? Are there real warranty concerns?

(I don't see the larger 90915-YZZF1 in 10 packs at http://www.toyotapartsdelivered.com. In person they price the two 4cyl filters equally and sell both individually and in 10 packs.)

4. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I got the 10 pack from the ebay guy in march. 35.99 includes shipping, and there is no tax for 49/50 states. They are toyota oem and I figure it's just a small 4 cyl engine.. I don't need a high performance filter. He's a good guy to buy toyota stuff from.

I did my 3rd oil change last night (15,000 miles). I'd buy from the ebay guy again.

5. theorist

theorist Member

You'll also want an oil filter socket to remove the old filter that will attach to a ratchet extension like john1071a used is his well illustrated oil change guide. There's very little room to maneuver a strap style or plier style oil filter wrench and the filter is too small for many of the one size fits most filter wrenches. The longer (90915-YZZF1) oil filter is easier to access and remove, especially if you don't have a good oil filter socket or your socket slips.

http://john1701a.com/prius/documents/Prius...hanging-Oil.pdf

6. Metro

Metro Your OEM Q & A Resource

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Jun 30 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]279086[/snapback]</div>

I sell the factory genuine Toyota filters through my site for $4.00 each and each one includes a drain plug gasket at no charge. If anyone wanted to get them without the gaskets for a cheaper price I am willing to do that as well, they just have not been as popular. I would be willing to go $3.50 per filter for anyone committing to buy at least a case(10 filters) without the gasket.
    www.metrotpn.com

7. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Metro @ Jun 30 2006, 11:40 AM) [snapback]279105[/snapback]</div>
    Does that include shipping? The 10 OEM filters (w/o gasket) I bougth from eBay for $35 includes shipping.

8. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My recommendations:

1) K&N (part 1003 i believe) $15 - lasts 10,000 miles easily!
    2) Mobil 1 (i believe it's exactly the same as K&N) $12
    3) Bosch (lasts almost as long) $6-7
    4) Toyota filter (i wouldnt run it over 5000 miles) $3-5

Do not buy Fram or A/C delco. Purolator One is a pretty good product if you only have Pepboys or Autozone available.

I've ran both the K&N and Mobil 1 filters with full synthetic for 15,000 miles each and no problems. The Bosch is an excellent choice for the budget minded.