1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. tylerjames

tylerjames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have been browsing forms and seeing people getting atleast 5k between oil changes. My oil in my 2007 Prius with 152k is dry at 3,000 every time.

It is running chevron 5w-30. Any idea why this is? Thx

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when your car burns oil, you need to check it regularly, and keep it topped up.
    not wait for 5,000 mile oil change and find it dry.

you have a 10 year old car with 150,000 miles. wear and tear on the engine lead to oil burning. it's inevitable.

3. tylerjames

tylerjames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is there a low oil alert on the 2007 Prius? Nothing went off and I just checked it and it didn't really register on the dipstick. I changed the oil but was wondering why nothing went off. Thanks

4. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Since you know it consumes oil, you just have to check it say, every 500 miles and add as needed. If you wait for the light to show up, it will likely mean you have major damage to the engine. Do you really want to be that guy and wait for the light to come on?

If you really want to make the engine last as long as possible then be proactive, don't wait for it to be dry.

2006 Gen 2
    2014 Gen 3 v wagon

gta_ likes this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point I guess we do not have a low oil alarm. Instead you can get Triangle of Death if oil too low.
    You might want to try Mobil1 High Mileage to see if that holds level better.
    Also bunch of threads about adding extra Techron to clean things up.