1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil in your Prius...3.5 Quarts?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by darkpyro, Mar 27, 2005.

1. darkpyro

darkpyro New Member

Just curius when I used the dipstick when I check my oil...i noticed 2 small markings on the distick indicating a safe range of oil in the prius. I have since discovered through reading this forum, that 3.5 quarts is the optimun choice for best performance and mpg. How can I tell how much oil is in my engine? Is there a trick to reading the dipstick or do i have to know how much oil goes in?

2. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The top line is what I assume to be 4 quarts because that's what the dealership (Toyota of Rancho Santa Margarita) just did to me.

Even though I specified before service that I wanted EXACTLY 3.5 quarts, and it still ended up be filled to the top dot - overfilled. :x

It took a minute to convince the sales rep to redo it to THEIR OWN spec of 3.7 quarts with him saying they can't really fill to exactly because of their equipment.

Well, maybe Toyota needs to ship these guys some better equipment. Of course, they still billed me for 4 quarts. Great fleet dealership (Penske/Longo), crappy service.

As john1701a.com says, do it yourself, or maybe have them fill it to 3 quarts and you add the half yourself when you get home. It's easier to add than to subtract later.

So if you estimate from the top dot, a quarter to half-way down (between the two dots) is where you want to be.

3. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since I refuse to pay the dealer $10 per quart for synthetic, I supply my oil. I therefore can give them the exact 3.5 quarts that I want them to put in.

4. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I give them 3 quarts of mobil1. That is the right amount to put it right in the middle of the safe range. I see no need to add more. The car doesn't burn oil and it does accumulate a little moisture over time. There is no need to fool with parts of a quart or to pay for them. My mileage is a little better when the level is not right at or above the full mark.

At the last oil change, the tech said he new I must be one of those mileage guys when he saw the directions to use only three quarts and not adjust the tire pressures. His suspicians were confirmed when the display showed 60.2 MPG for almost 500 miles.

I love this car.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just had my Prius in for an oil change at the dealer. I was too busy and the weather was too crappy to drive out to the hobby farm for me to do it myself.

I told them 3 litres only, as I only wanted it above Add. The Prius tech and service writer understood this perfectly and even showed me the level once they were done: a little more than half way between Add and Full.

Just right.

6. bethmaup

bethmaup New Member

Ray,

You're in the Texas hill country--which dealership do you use and who is your tech? I'm hoping it's in Austin, since I'm located there. (My husband often changes the oil in our vehicles, but I'm not sure I could convince him to put less in. I did finally get a chance to get the tire pressure raised when we stopped at a service station in Fort Stockton. He did comment, however, that with the mileage we got that the $2.00 gas was effectively $1.00 gas compared to his Tacoma.)

Beth

7. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

In other posts, I thought they said that right on the dot was okay but higher than 1/4" above was bad. I don't want to get cranky about it if it's okay.

8. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My oil level sits right in the middle of the range and I use synthetic oil so I'm not really living on the edge. Absorbed water will raise the level above full if filled to the line. Three even quarts is so easy and reduces the risk of a little spill on the manifold when you try to top off.

Champion Toyota has four Prius techs. The two I met left a favorable impression.

You should check your tires cold, as they will read 2-3 psi higher after the tires have warmed up from driving.

I work in Austin, so keep an eye out for my 56MPG plate.

Ray