1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Leak on my prius

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by pipbc, Dec 18, 2021.

1. pipbc

pipbc New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello folks,

2014 Plug-in original owner here. As of now, it is at 151044miles. Since it was brand new, all I did was
    • Every 8,000 miles oil change until hit 50,000 miles and then oil change at every 5,000 miles
    • Transmission fluid drain refill at 80,000 / 130,000 miles
    • Engine & inverter coolant flush at 100,000 miles
    • EGR valve & intake clean at 100,000 miles
    • PCV valve replacement at 100,000 miles
    • Spark plug and coil changes at 100,000 miles
    No trips to mechanic since day 1. It has been taken care of in my garage. It has been a great car in terms of reliability and gas efficiency. As usual, I was changing engine oil and saw something I don't want to see. It's oil leak as pictures. I thought with my care on this car, I can hit 200,000 miles easy like everyone in the forum. My wife drive it most of time. My expectation on this car is clearly too high after finding out oil leak. No lights what so ever so far. I never had to top off oil during my ownership. After today's oil change, I see about 0.5 qt missing after drain. Now, my question is that the oil leak like in the picture the notorious head gasket failure? I don't see my coolant level is low which makes me it could not be a gasket issue. Appreciate your inputs.

Attached Files:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm trying to figure out what I'm looking at. Is the picture by chance rotated 90 degrees? Can you describe the components/orientation in the picture? Is one of the rusty bits part of the exhaust flange?

I don't see copious oil leak there. Maybe you're just starting to burn a little? A pint low at 5000 miles is not much for a car with 150K.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Dec 19, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're over stressing, probably due to the holidays. your car has plenty of miles left. if the oil isn't puddling on the floor, ignore it, and keep a closer eye on the level at each gas fill up.
    could it be the notorious timing chain cover leak? if so, ignore it

4. pipbc

pipbc New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    @Mendel Leisk :

No it is not rotated pictures. I took it by putting my cellphone camera with selfie mode. It is rear of the engine on passenger side. Yes the rusted flange is for exhaust. With my understanding, I circled it with a red color.

@bisco :
    I hope so. No puddling on the floor at all. Timing chain cover leak could be it too. But I just don't have confidence the leaking place.

Attached Files:

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok see roughly where your at. Something you could is take off front/right wheel, remove a few of the fasteners on the plastic shield at back of wheel well, bend the shield back, to see how it looks lower down that corner.

still, think it looks minor.

6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Re-torque the valve cover bolts; this looks like seepage or spillage from above. Clean the area with brake cleaner or engine cleaner and monitor. If you had a real leak, you'd have oil drops in your garage and streaks of oil all over your under-carriage.
    Your probably burning-off that pint of oil your missing. If your in one of the warmer climate states, you can try switching to 5w20 oil to see if it will slow down the oil burn. My 2012 Prius C developed a small oil burn around 80K, I made this switch - no more oil burn.

BTW: If you had a blown head gasket, you'd know it. Engine miss, white smoke out the tail pipe, coolant in the oil and/or oil in your coolant; boiling coolant. The engine would fail a compression test in one or more cylinders; but most of all the CEL would be the dead giveaway.

7. pipbc

pipbc New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you for all your inputs. I will try to take the shield out and take a look once I come from holiday trip.

@BiomedO1 : Yes you're right about the symptoms when the head gasket goes wrong. I don't have any of those but like my pictures, I am trying to figure out where the oil is seeping and flowed down along the line. The starting point where the oil started is the right at the corner of the head gasket is located. I already cleaned it up with brake cleaner. I will drive a couple of days and recheck once I come back from my holiday trip.

Happy holidays folks and drive safely!