1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. ML Diggs

ML Diggs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just began to notice a little oil leak near the front right side of the engine in my 2007 Prius (at 80k miles). I touched the fluid, and it smell like engine oil (not brake fluid or coolant). I'm scheduled for an oil change anyway on Monday, but my questions are these:

Is there anything besides the engine that uses engine oil (i.e. brake actuator pump or thermos?)
    Is this a location consistent with a drain plug leak?
    Is this a location consistent with a major engine seal leak?

Just want to know what I might be in for.....

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A few years ago somebody else posted the same problem as you. Maybe if you seach the old posts you can find out who it was and ask him what the outcome was.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It depends on how you define right vs left. It depends on the exact location, how high up on the block it extends. A picture posted here is about the only way you can get halfway decent advice. A drain plug leak normally will not get oil on the block itself, just the bottom of the oil pan. Leaking past the oil filter seal is a possibility, as is a leak around the edge of the oil pan, or past the timing chain cover (ala 2009Prius story a few months ago http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...86222-oil-droplets-backside-engine-block.html) or around the edge of the valve cover. Oil is not pumped anywhere outside the engine, like the brake actuator or thermos.

4. ML Diggs

ML Diggs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the input. I'm defining right and left from position of driver (not mechanic leaning over engine ;-). I'll see if I can get a pic tomorrow. I crawled as far under as possible without ramps (i.e. as far as my skinny frame allows for a low clearance vehicle) and it appears to me that there is oil residue from the drain plug up the drain pain (i.e. not necessarily just below it, but then again, with driving in rainy conditions, I'm not convinced it's not drain plug). The dipstick shows no loss after 4k miles, but the leak might be recent since I haven't noticed it on the garage before this weekend.

I'll do my oil change Monday, ask the mechanic what he sees, then take it to the dealer for repair if necessary.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good thing is Toyota QC is very good and the bottom end is pretty tight.
    The way my 07 looks underneath a pan leak would be rare. I remember checking on one of the oil pan bolts long time ago and it was super tight.
    I suspect your leaking at the oil filter. Easy to check. Just grab it and try to unscrew it. Lefty loosy.
    Bet its loose.

I would buy some cans of carb cleaner and bring them to the mechanic when he changes your oil and ask him to flush off & clean the pan off real good so you can look at it now & then. That's what I do when I change the oil. I clean the pan real good.

Also stop by the dealer and buy a replacement oil pan oil dump bolt. They are sacrificial meaning they are softer than the pan threads and they tend to wear out after they have been on & off a few times and sometimes tend to leak slightly no matter how tight. They are made that way so if that bolt gets mondo'ed at Jiffy Lube it won't take out the pan threads
    Its $5 insurance.

Good luck.

6. ML Diggs

ML Diggs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wiped the bolt, and gave it 1/2 a turn. That's the source, I'm sure. I'll get a new bolt. I always used to get a new drain plug gasket for my Camry wagon, so I figure a new bolt every couple of years is a good idea. Thanks as always.