1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by popptj2001, Dec 15, 2011.

1. popptj2001

popptj2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Cleaned the engine and determined the location of this oil leak. I am posting two pics. The far away shot shows the leak in the center of the picture...near the motor mount. The close up pic u can see the leak coming from a vertical seam just Below where the half shaft enters the transaxle. It is definitely motor oil, not transmissioin oil. I hope someone can shed some insight here as to how to fix it. I'm afraid it's not going to be easy. Any help appreciated!!

leak far.jpg

leak close.jpg

2. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyway to get any better pics?

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't really make anything out in the pictures. Do you have a camera instead of a phone?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you verify that the leak is not originating from the valve cover and dripping down the engine, which would be the easiest to repair. Another possibility is that the leak is coming from the cylinder head gasket, which would require removal of the cylinder head so a new gasket could be installed.

If in fact the leak is originating at a lower point between the engine block and the transaxle, and is engine oil, then it is likely that the rear crankshaft seal is leaking. That repair would require removal of the engine and transaxle and separation of the two, to gain access to the seal.

That would not be a cost-effective repair unless the leak is severe. Good luck.

5. popptj2001

popptj2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Patrick. The oil leak is definitely originating at the lower point between the engine block and the transaxle. In the close up pic, you can see the passengers side half shaft going into the transmission. The leak seen in the picture originates exactly where you see it...it isn't dripping from anywhere, it is seeping through the block and transaxle. I wish it was coming from the valve cover gasket after you saying engine removal was required to repair! I can keep adding oil I suppose---I have 219000 miles on this 07 prius!

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...you can try Mobil-1 "high mileage" or possibly Pennzoil high mileage formulations which have extra dose of leak prevention (zinc?) additives. The only thing I can say is they claim to have added more leak prevention additives, but I am sure no one is promising miracles.

The good news is you don't need as many oil changes since you are constantly refreshing.
    The bad news is of course, the groundwater contam.

Mobil USA | Car Engine Oils | Product Comparison Chart
    (The Mobil-1 High Mileage gets three checks but I don't have that chart handy)