1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

oil level over full

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by donalmilligan089, Jun 23, 2010.

1. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wrecked my 2005 and bought 2006 with 65,000k. Dealer had just changed oil and it is well above last dimple. Dealers have been Qouted as saying no harm to engine by overfilling' At first I started out at 51 mpg and after first trip or two it is down to c.47mpg Will overfil cause loss of fe or any other problems HELP! Email me at [email protected] please! as I cannot find any info on this in prius chat or direct me to answer.

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    There are quite a few threads on this subject if you do a search. The general consensus is that overfill does reduce the fuel economy a tiny bit and may have a small chance of hurting the engine a little so it's best to remove the extra oil either by the dealer or use a small pump/tubing. Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

3. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Drain that extra oil out ASAP. Depending on how overfilled it is, it can cause engine damage. Overfilling will also reduce your MPG.

4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go back. Ask them to remove the oil. When oil is overfilled some things can happen: The engine has to pump more volume oil, which requires more effort and energy = lower mileage. While the engine pumps more oil, the excess can also be pumped into areas its not supposed to be, worse case scenario by damaging your intake.

I've had the oil overfilled once. I immediately noticed my gas pips falling faster - whether or not that decreased my mileage I don't know for sure - but at the very least it was affecting my mass flow sensor. So I went back to the shop. They apologized profusely, acknowledging what oil overfill on a Prius could potentially do. They drained it in 5 minutes.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Three quarts is plenty. Buy three quart bottles and leave them in the car for the tech to use.

Always check the oil level yourself before driving away from every oil change.

6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Apparently the repair shops make huge amounts of money if they fill it to the top. By putting in THREE qts the level will be exactly in between pips ( 1/2 way ).

7. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks all. I drained to top dimple level and am looking to see fe improve .Takes time of course

8. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Good idea, at full mark is best in my opinion. I am at 6k on 1/8 in over full, oil change done by myself, and have had the highest mpgs ever since I bought the car. It's the driving habits, road, and weather conditons, especially wind direction, that affects mpg most significantly. The 1/8 over neither helped nor hindered the mpgs. The prius is very sensitive to throttle inputs, to be able to get well over 50 mpg, even to the 60's, with such a roomy and peppy car is quite amazing, but it takes little to kill the mpg capabilities of the car, from my experience with it.

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    overfilling is bad idea... with only a few thousand miles you may think that it's all good...

with less than a thousand post... i'm sure you haven't read about clogged pcv valves causing the engine to act funny... make noise.. build up pressure.. take everything else along with it.....

10. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My car came with oil 1/8 in overfilled from Japan, like many do. A few ounces of oil is not an issue, there is nothing anywhere near the oil at this level. The oil pan is a just pool of oil, the oil pump determines the flow, not the level of the pool, except when the oil uncovers the oil pickup hole, then there is a slight problem. It is still not certain whether the factory recommendation of 3.9 qts. is wrong, or the dipstick, since the factory never changed specs in all those years. The dry fill theory is wrong as it is not a dry fill after it leaves Japan so why would they put it in the book. I try to keep at full, not under not over, but if slightly one way or the other it isn't a problem either.

11. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Every dipstick on every car I have ever owned has 2 pips, one for under normal oil fill range and one for over normal oil fill range. Ideally, the best level is 1/2 way between pips, this gives you the greatest latitude for some inadvertant error. Prius, from MANY reports operates badly with a overfill. There is actually no logical reason to fill the sump up to the full mark or even over the full mark, The Toyota factorys may fill to top mark for a totally different reason beyond our comprehension. Such as: Salt in air upon Ocean crossing. Or: A agreement with the local oil supplier to top up every engine. If your Toyota arrived with the oil two qts low, would you also emulate them?

12. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The full level is determined by the factory engineers from the many requirements of use according to the car specifications and maintainance intervals. Keeping oil in the hatched area is acceptable but not as perfect. Since 1962 when I first changed oil on my own car, I have kept the level to the full mark, and added if any amount lower, even 1/8 in. lower, I add to full. There is no logical reason to do otherwise, the way I see it, tending to be an precision oriented person.

The Mercedes 3.2L v6 e320 my wife has takes 8.5 qts. It will surely run fine on 5 qts or less like a Toyota v6 of the same size, but they consider factors like oil life and cooling with their 10k+ oil change intervals, as well as oil pan design for driving conditions etc. I follow their plan and don't know better than they.

One thing people are missing in this oil level obsession stuff, is how long they drain, and how long they wait to check. I drain overnight or more than 10 hours, and I check after sitting all night, for convenience. So I probably change more of the oil than most, and see a higher level than most.

13. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I must say you are precise. However I would never consider running a engine on a sump that is 5/8.5 qts full, that's .5882 of where it's supposed to be. Close to half full actually, or half empty?

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could be a translation error, engineer -> technical writer. It happens all the time.