1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil loss in my Prius IV

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Vince23, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Vince23

Vince23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought my 2010 Prius IV, not Four, months ago with 74,000 miles. When I checked the engine oil dipstick, it was at about half between lines. I changed the oil 3 months ago with Mobil 1 0w-20 and a Mobil 1 filter at that time. 7,500 miles later and the dipstick is about 1/4 between the two lines (about 1quart low). I've read about how thin 0w-20 oil is and it is common to lose oil during use but I'm curious as to when I should start to worry. I've never had a problem with driving this car. There has not been any visible smoke, malodorous burnt oil smells, or lit up low oil indicator lights.

Thank you

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! good question. 75k seems a bit early, but there are reports of 2010's burning oil at 100k. i wouldn't worry about it, but i would keep a watchful eye on it and track oil addition between changes. all the best!(y)

GrGramps likes this.
  3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Try 5w20 you'd like it better with slower burning

4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you saying it consumed only 0.75 quart in 7500 miles? That's not bad at all, but, as Bisco says, it bears watching in case it gets worse.

5W-20 isn't likely to solve that problem, if it is a problem.

5. Vince23

Vince23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From my understanding, I believe there is 1.5 quarts between the bottom and top lines on the dipstick. I would be down about a quart then.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you are really worried about it, go buy a quart of oil, and dump 1/2 of it in. Then drive it for a while, then check the oil again after it has drained down. If it looks like it needs more, then top it off. It is better to be close to full than close to or below the lower dimple. You can always save the other 1/2 quart for topping later on if you don't need the full quart.

Also, I suggest you read the service manual closely. If you are making short trips under five miles at temps below 32F, you should change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles.

It is in the manual, read it for yourself. I am uploading a PDF file for your reference. Refer to page 38 for more information.

5K OCI.jpg

I am well aware of the 10,000 miles OCI, however if you read the fine print not everyone can do that. In the old days, the service which requires a 5K OCI was referred to as "Severe Service".

FYI, the difference between the top dimple and the bottom dimple on the oil dipstick is 1.6 quarts.

Attached Files:

#6 dorunron, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  7. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Using a quart of oil in 7500 miles is no concern. Mine has 130k on it and I have to add a bit between changes. I normally purchase the 5qt jug and have extra just for top ups.

Most manufacturers list usage as normal if you can go 1k -- some are less. Years ago it was normal to add oil between 3500 changes.

8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Had you checked the oil level after a week since you made the oil change to assure it was at the right level?

9. Vince23

Vince23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I run the engine after changing, recheck the level, add the necessary amount, and then recheck a day later. I will have to keep a better eye on the level to make certain everything is ok.

kenichols29 likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I put in the spec'd amount, run engine a few seconds, shut down, then check oil purely to make sure I can see something. It's invariably looking a bit low then, but if I recheck a few days later, it'll be on the top mark. Gotta say: the prius dipstick is horrible to read, maybe too many bends?

kenichols29 likes this.
  11. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Oil way too clear to read

bisco likes this.
  12. kenichols29

kenichols29 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do the same thing to with all our vehicles. It seems like it is always hard to read after a change, I wish there was, a dye to add to oil to make it easier to see on the dipstick.

OP, if you are worried about oil loss just keep an eye on it and top off as needed, there isn't much else you can do about it short of having the motor rebuilt. By keeping an eye on it and topping off as needed it will keep the problem from getting worse with time. If it is not caught early and the oil drops below the bottom mark the motor can be starved of oil which will cause it to consume more oil.

13. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    There is a recall for oil consumption right now for 07 RAV4, we'll see what they will do for that

14. Martono

Martono New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I did try 30 -70 penrite even its still burning at 2000km use.
    My km now is close to 150,000.
    Very bad Prius 2010

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How much do you have to add at 2000 kms? To get the level back to where it was.