1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil overfilled, MAF sensor?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Skrmp, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Skrmp

Skrmp New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Wife's oil was over filled by local mechanic, and she didn't notice until 750 miles later after a 100 mile trip. There's now a weird sound as if air isn't circulating or fully going through the system properly when coasting around 40mph+. The issue doesn't seem to matter whether or not she's on the gas. Could this be the MAF sensor just needing to be cleaned? The mechanic cleaned the throttle body free of charge but forgot to clean the MAF sensor, I assume. Any thoughts, fellas? Thx

*2008 Prius/ 165k/ well maintained
    *New engine air filter as well

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    if it is running fine, i would look elsewhere. can you post a recording?

Skrmp likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    750 miles later after a 100 mile trip. Ok.

How did she "notice"?

Don't know how the MAF makes a weird air sound but I can tell you if the MAF is unhappy the car will barely run and it would throw alot of lights on the dash. What is the obsession with the MAF I see on alot of car forums?

Anyway MAF is easy to clean. Take the air cleaner cover off and remove the air cleaner and look down the throat of the throttle body and you will see it hanging out in the bore. Buy a can of MAF spray and rinse it off with that spray. Dont have to touch it. Wait about 10 minutes for all that fluid to dry up and thats about it.

Btw, you will see a puddle of oil in the bottom of the throttle body. That's normal don't freak out. Leave it alone.

In the future the car takes 3.5 quarts of oil with a new filter. Bring your mechanic exactly 3.5 quarts and he cant F it up.

I take that back based on what i see here.

ITBland likes this.
  4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Am I right in assuming you drained the excess oil out?

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    and he cant F it up.

As soon as I read that, I thought to myself...."that's a pretty gutsy statement" then I saw this:

I take that back based on what i see here

and almost sprayed my drink on my laptop

edthefox5, Skrmp and padroo like this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. The engine will be running when the vehicle speed is >40 mph. Therefore,
    2. Is it possible that the mechanic installed a poorly-fitting aftermarket engine air filter, and you are hearing the sound of air being sucked through an air leak in the air cleaner housing?

Skrmp likes this.
  7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You can buy a can of cleaner for $8 most anywhere, and "it's easy"

...so everyone wants this to be the root of their problems. Hence the perceived obsession.

I'll just be over here perfecting my retirement plan er... formula for liquid valve job.

8. Skrmp

Skrmp New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

She checked the dipstick after the oil change, and noted that it was at least an inch above max without telling me. She says she thought "the mechanic knew what he was doing because he's done work for her previously, and assumed it wasn't a big deal." It wasn't an issue until she took the 100 mile trip in 97 degree weather, which was around 750 miles later total.

Nope. By the time I got around to it, it was exactly at max.

It's very faint. I doubt I'll be able to pick the audio up. But I'll give it a shot.

No. I put that on a few weeks ago. Fram Ca10159.
    But the top of the air filter housing/box is extremely dirty.

#8 Skrmp, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2018
  9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Patrick has a really good point. Not only that, but it could be any joint in that area if he removed the air cleaner housing to get to the throttle body for cleaning. May have left something disconnected.

10. Skrmp

Skrmp New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    He cleaned the throttle body after the overfill/noise was noticed. I also inspected the housing, and it doesn't seem to be the issue (at least not to my old eyes.)
    But yep, I've been lurking for years, and Patrick is always on to something. the man's on his game!

I'll keep you folks updated. Thanks to all that responded.

11. Skrmp

Skrmp New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Btw, here's all the recent work done, perhaps it could be helpful:

150,129 - cabin air filter, engine air filter, 12v battery

153,440 - spark plugs, oil change, Fresh ATF, PCV valve

155,445 - Engine Water Pump, Serpentine belt, thermostat, idler pulley, Inverter coolant pump, new coolant

157,342 - Air/Fuel sensor, Oxygen Sensor

157,400 - Inverter reservoir replaced

159,000 - tires

163,903 - engine air filter, cabin air filter, oil change

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If he cleaned the throttle body he probably forgot to tighten the air cleaner housing clamp. Its a hose clamp under the air cleaner housing that clamps the housing to the throttle body. 10 MM bolt. It may whistle if loose. Also lubricate the throttle body spring.

Go on youtube and search Prius Inspection there will be instructions on how the put the car in inspection mode where the engine will idle continuously and you will be able to listen around the engine to your hearts content to find that air sound.

Skrmp likes this.
  13. Skrmp

Skrmp New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Update:
    I cleaned MAF sensor, and everything seemed fine for 2 days, but the noise was still there. Very subtle, but still there. Then, of course, the CEL comes on. I thought maybe it was because I cleaned the MAF sensor possibly? So I reset the CEL by disconnecting battery for 5 mins to if it would come back. 30 miles later, sure enough, the CEL was back. So I bought a reader and got P0420 bank 1. Then, took it to the mechanic to look at, and a he says everything is pointing to the cat going bad. Which I was really hoping to not be the case. So yeah that's pretty much where I'm at.