1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil price to rise after elections

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius The First, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Prius The First

Prius The First New Member

2. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius The First @ Nov 2 2006, 08:55 AM) [snapback]342582[/snapback]</div>

Luckily, I didn't buy no steenkin' SUV. What I find amazing is the "gas for a year" incentive they have to move these behemoths off the show room lot. What they should do is crush them, melt them down and then build something that is more energy efficient instead of the stupid campaign they have now. America has certainly had a love affair with the SUV. Heck, every car manufacturer on the planet with the exception of ferrarri and a couple of others build them. Everywhere you look, your view is obstructed by these dinosaurs.
    A porsche SUV? Give us a break for heavens sake.

3. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Feel manipulated? Feel like your hard-earned money/life is for the amusement of the rich and powerful?

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looking for the mp3

Real Men of Genius: Mr Enormous SUV Driver

5. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm shocked, I tell you, simply shocked.

http://www.nydailynews.com/business/story/...0p-391720c.html

Exxon Mobil and Royal Dutch Shell posted higher third-quarter earnings than analysts expected after crude prices soared to a record and production increased.
    Exxon Mobil profit rose 5.7% from a year earlier to $10.5 billion, or $1.77 a share.

Exxon Mobil's profit was its second-highest on record for any quarter. Excluding a $1.62 billion gain last year on the sale of a pipeline business, profit rose 26%.

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But...but...but...they *need* all of those profits 'cause drilling for oil is so darn expensive...right...?

7. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Well, my wife has finally repented! Last weekend, we traded the 2001 Sequoia for a 2007 Avalon. What a relief. We loved the Tree, especially during the first couple years when we routinely had the seats filled, but the need had changed, and 13-15 mpg was getting a tad tiresome, even for a vehicle that logged only 10k miles per year. We are now using 100-120 gallons less fuel per month than we did six months ago when the family fleet consisted of my G35 and the Sequoia. Those figures aren't off -- I drive almost 40k per year, and my Prius is using less than half the gas of the G (G35 ==> Prius, about 85 gal/mo saved; Tree ==> Avalon, about 20-30 gal/mo saved).

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Nov 2 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]342621[/snapback]</div>
    No, and we're buying another SUV, too.

9. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Nov 2 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]342686[/snapback]</div>
    But of course, you DO feel like the proverbial guy washing his double-cheese meat-lover's pizza down with diet Coke, right??? ;)

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hey Doc, why don't you get a Tesla instead of an Exige?

You can get it in Orange.

Nate

11. mikel 52

mikel 52 Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I have a cartoon from the Chicago Tribune hanging near my desk, that is a picture of the White House with a sign that says " Gas $1.00/ Gallon offer good till. Nov. 7th"
    I have noticed around her the gas prices have started to creep back up the last week or two.

Mike

12. EricGo

EricGo New Member

The presumption here that SA manipulated the price of oil down to help the repubs in this election is not convincing.

Firstly, SA did not increase production in the run-up to the elections.
    Second, the supply/demand which eventually determines prices improved *a lot* due to mild weather and a no-show of hurricane season.
    Third, no release of oil reserves to transiently effect supply happened.
    Fourth, SA has been saying for months they will act to keep oil around $60 barrell, but a unilateral production cut by them without cuts by other oil producing nations will hurt SA's bottom line, and so they have been taking time to gain concensus in OPEC.
    Fifth, the drop in price of gasoline is much more than can be explained by the drop in crude price. Puncture of the crude oil price speculation bubble is a much better explanation of how exxon and friends profits are up despite lower prices at the pump. They are passing on some, but not all, of the improved wholesale prices.

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ekpolk @ Nov 2 2006, 03:02 PM) [snapback]342724[/snapback]</div>
    Nah, I'm washing that sucker down with a triple chocolate milkshake (extra lard!). Yum!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Nov 2 2006, 04:14 PM) [snapback]342795[/snapback]</div>
    It costs twice as much. Plus, there's no place to put the turbo on the Tesla... B)

14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I always get a kick out of the ideas put forth in threads like this.

Here, the NDP party is the one that thinks they are the saviors of the earth. I actually vote green, but whatever. The NDP are very much up in arms at the profits of the oil companies and the banks. I don't get how they can be so stupid - just buy those stocks and share in the profits! That's why we have our kind of govt. and economy - so anyone can get rich if they want to and are smart enough.

I drive a SUV and have for over 30 years. They used to be called 4x4 station wagons, BTW. I plan to purchase a Prius for my next vehicle, but here an all wheel drive is more practical, with a 6 month winter.

I agree that it is unlikely the price fall was due to the election, as it was international - we experienced it here as well in Canada and we don't rely on American oil suppliers - in fact we are one.

It makes for good material for comedians and pessimists though.

15. lloyd51

lloyd51 New Member

16. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

But this is interesting for the tin-foil crowd: The gas at our local station has been hanging around at $2.27 for the past 3 weeks or so. This morning I passed by the station and noticed it's suddenly $2.39

Coincidence?

17. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    About as much a coincidence as the timing of Saddam's verdict.

18. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Nov 9 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]346484[/snapback]</div>
    You got that right. They're insulting our intelligence again. Now that the election is over, it's back to normal: "screw the sumbitches". :angry:

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bhaynnes @ Nov 2 2006, 09:14 AM) [snapback]342596[/snapback]</div>
    What amazes me is that buyers are so confounded stupid that they don't see the "incentives" (all incentives) as merely discounts from a price which was over-inflated just for the purpose of offering the incentive:

Take a $30,000 car, jack its price up to $35,000, and then offer an "incentive" worth $3,000, and people will jump at it and actually believe they are getting a "deal"!

The "fixed gas price for a year" deals are actuaslly worth no more than any of the other "incentives" used to sell over-priced cars. And at the end of the year, then what? Again, I am amazed that people are too confounded stupid to look at the long-term cost. Maybe they just figure after the year they'll torch the car and collect the insurance.

20. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 2 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]342640[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, the good 'ole Republican 'trickle-down' economic theories of the Reagan administration, i.e., it's good for big business to make obscene profits because that money reinvested in R&D eventually brings down prices which benefits everyone. I guess it's just coincidence that oil company executives seem to be benefiting a whole lot more than everyone else in the meantime.

Just have patience and trust in the Republicans, and everything will be all right...