1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Tim in Hollywood

Tim in Hollywood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi all,

I have a 2008 Prius with ~16,000 miles. I've read numerous oil change threads over the past couple days, but I'm not an auto mechanic inclined at all. I'm curious whether the following accurately distills the info I have read:

In the Omaha area, is it reasonable/wise to use Mobil1 5W-30 in the summer and 0W-30 in the winter?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. satwood

satwood Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Tim,

I am not the consumate expert on this but I have been using synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 for over 20 years on all my engines and it is great stuff. There are other brands that are good as well and less expensive but for me the difference is not worth it. I run 5w30 year round in New England which also includes lots of driving to the South East to places like North Carolina and Washington DC. All different temps and driving conditions. My 2007 Prius has 55K miles on it with no issues. My 1998 Olds 6 cylinder has 235K miles on it and no oil buring, and my 1986 Olds 6 cylinder has 450K miles on it and it is just starting to use a quart every 5000 miles :eek:.

As far a 0W30 in the winter, I have not done that but others here report some improvement in mileage over 5w30. Look around and then try one month on each and decide for yourself. I don't think you will hurt anything.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am running 0W30 at this time in all my vehicles and it is perfect. Even the dealer likes it.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tim

The Omaha, Nebraska area doesn't get as cold as Winnipeg in winter, but your plan does sound reasonable.

You can also use the 0W-30 year round. At operating temps, both Mobil 1 5W-30 and 0W-30 test out with virtually the same viscosity

jay

1 person likes this.