1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OIL THREAD! (How soon is too soon?)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by qdllc, Aug 30, 2013.

1. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I swear by AMSOIL.

I plan to use it in the Prius. When is the best time to make the switch? 1,000 miles? 5,000 miles?

I know on NEW cars you want to let the stuff it came with sit long enough to catch any "post-manufacture crud" and initial wear from the break in period. Most ICE cars it's 1,000 miles for this purpose. I'm not sure what it would be on the Prius.

2. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just information not telling you what is right or wrong, I changed at ~5000 and posted the result here somewhere.

There was nothing really special. As expected the silicon and copper was high because of wear-in but otherwise pretty normal .. will change at ~10k (that is free included Toyota Care) and see the difference. I intended to post that result of course.

I do not think that there is much difference btw Brands but only UOA can tell afterwards...

spiderman likes this.
  3. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd say 2-3k miles. Amsoil is the best oil out. Many OAs to back that statement up too. Back in my muscle car days most of us used Amsoil and had it analysed. It beat the crap out of top brands and even royal purple.

4. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Also don't buy great oil then buy a 3 dollar filter....

5. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am sure .... but how much difference it made to the engine ..... that is the question... comparing racing condition to daily driving is ludicrous.

but sure marketing departments like strong followers :)

6. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Since you swear by Amsoil, don't they have reports on oil breakdown?

Lots of threads on this including oil analysis... but people still do what feels good to them.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK.
    Here's the REAL deal, and I can prove it.
    Some people say that if you don't change your oil at 60o miles (or some other notional value) then you'll wreck your motor.
    Others say that if you DO change your oil at some notional value then you'll wreck your motor because you're not giving the "special fact-o-ree oil" a chance to "break your motor in."

If both sides are doing it like they say that they do it, then one side should have a quantifiable higher occurrence of catastrophic engine failure, and if EITHER side is right then us folks who go by the OEM maintenance schedule should also have a higher occurrence of engine wear, and you know what?
    I'm not seeing it.
    I'll betcha nobody without a financial (or emotional) incentive is either.

People don't build engines these days. That went out with steam locomotives, and rotary dial telephones. Engines are built to fairly high standards by robots, they usually are individually tested in the factory and run-in to check for production problems and there aren't handfulls of metal shavings cruising around in the oil, and if there were?
    Your motor is equipped with a brand-new device designed to capture these particles.
    OK...not "brand new" as in just invented (that was in 1923) but brand new as in recently installed.
    They call them oil filters.

The fact is...if you use and change AMSOIL you're almost guaranteed to get lunar mileage out of your motor.
    The thing is of course, that if you use and regularly change ANY OTHER modern engine oil in approximately the same viscosity range that your motor calls for????
    Yup.
    You guessed it.
    You're almost guaranteed to get lunar mileage out of your motor. :D

Take-Away: Caveat emptor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mmmodem likes this.
  8. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah, but that depends on doing regular oil changes with QUALITY engine oil. Even if not AMSOIL, it needs to be significantly better than the cheapest stuff on the shelf. Gum and varnish and some additives (and how the oil reacts over time to temperature) will harm a motor over the long haul. Better quality lubricants don't have these drawbacks.

Indeed, the push for many to go full-synthetic was a niche market as hardly any of the major motor oil companies (IIRC) were bothering to offer full-synthetic options in stores until the realized the demand wasn't a passing phase.

9. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Go ahead and Google to your hearts content on UOAs of Amsoil. Thier top tier oil. Come back to me with one that shows bad quality.

I wasn't comparing racing applications. Neither I nor my friends were full race cars. We had daily drivers that also raced.... So not only did the cars deal with stop and go traffic but also ran full out really often with the oils standing up extremely well.

I'm not saying Amsoil is going to make your engine last a million miles or even make it last longer than if you used Mobil 1 with regular changes. I'm saying I've seen many many many UOAs that proved it to be better under tough conditions. Is it going to give you 10 mpg more or make your engine last 50k miles longer? No but to each Thier own with what oil you choose.

If someone wants to change Thier oil in the first 100 miles or wait till 10k it's all fine. Matter of personal preference and beliefs. I don't really care but give my opinion. I think we can all agree that it's not going to have a make it or break it effect either way. Some look at cars as a hobby type thing and spend extra money on what they enjoy.....

10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not every Amsoil oil type is API certified. That can have warranty implication. As for when, 10,000 miles.

11. Kevine64

Kevine64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Despite some of the oils not being API certified they are better than any oil I have seen a UOA on. This can be researched and proven also. Though I wont argue that it may cause a issue with a warranty claim. Though I have never heard of it happening. I have actually never even heard of a warranty claim being made and being asked what oil the used was API certified. Its usually what the internals look like, how often maintenance was done, evidence of misuse or not proper maintenance. I still have 100% confidence in Amsoil.