1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Oiling" the Oil Filter Gasket?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stevewoods, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just did Prius oil change. Used an actual, genuine TOYOTA oil filter (made in Thailand). $5.xx USD at the dealer.

However, it had a cellophane wrapper on face of the filter, covering the gasket. Said gasket seems like it was soaked with some sort of white lube.

Figured I did not need to oil this gasket, but I read the box and it said oil the gasket, so I did.

just curious....was the extra oil necessary or did I waste all that oil. :whistle:

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've never seen them with the white lube like that. Perhaps it is a lube or perhaps it is just there to help seal the cellophane. In either case the amount of oil you would waste to smear the seal is totally negligible, so I would have done it anyway.

BTW. I usually fill my filter with oil and let as much as possible soak into the media before installing it, and the gasket gets lubed while doing this.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've also noticed the white lube on the filter O-ring. As uart described, I also partially fill the filter with oil and spread a drop of oil around the O-ring with a finger.

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just joking about the amount of oil used to lube the gasket. Just was curious what everyone else is doing. Been doing the "dip the finger" in the oil bottle and lubing the gasket for some 40 years.

I have read about filling the filter. Never done it. In so many of my "old" cars, the filter was on the side of the engine (Fords). I suppose I should go ahead and do that.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Won't hurt.

I never do it personally (2 of my 3 cars have vertical filters.)
    Been changing oil nearly as long as you have......and yes, mostly I just use a finger full myself as well.