1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OK, high-techies,who's the PC Remote Control King or Queen?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Jack Kelly, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How many remotes are lying around on or near your coffee table and environs?

Or have you managed, as your devices have proliferated, to keep consolidating functions into all-in-one devices, through re-programming?

Lessee, there's the TV, the DISH, the DVD, the stand-by videocassette player, the sound system...

Got a remote-operated gas log fireplace yet? How about one for operating the motor-driven doors shielding your home theater?

Count 'em up and let us know.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Jul 4 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]473070[/snapback]</div>
    Don't have DISH.

Let's start in the bedroom.

I have a remote for the heater, AC and ceiling fan. That's three.

In the living room I have a remote for the Panasonic VCR, Sony VCR. The DVD works off of the Panasonic and the TV works off of the Sony. So two remotes for four devices.

I have some remotes that I just don't use. One for my MiniDV camera and one for my computer. I'm not even sure where they are. In a drawer somewhere I guess.

So that's a total of 5 remotes for 7 devices.

BTW the remotes for the space heater and the window AC in the bedroom both have energy saver mode and timers. When I use them I use the timer mode. It's like the VCR. It will shut itself off after 1 hour, 2 hours. Whatever I set it for. I usually let it go an hour or two and then shut off. By then I'm so deeply asleep if it gets warmer or colder I probably won't notice. If it gets so extreme it wakes me up, I'll start them up again. So far haven't ever needed to.

The Ceiling fan remote is an add on. It's an older Hampton Bay four blade and I really like it. It never had the light module. I bought one from a different manufacturer and my Dad drilled a hole in the light cover plate to thread the rod through to hold it. I replaced that light fixture with a crystal chandelier. Yep, I have a chandelier hanging from my ceiling fan. I wanted a more luxurious light but didn't want to give up the fan which I use both summer and winter. I couldn't leave the light on all of the time and needed a way to have the fan go with the light off. There was a remote control I could add on after the fact available from Home Depot. I installed it and it works great. Anyone thinking of doing this be warned; the control does NOT fit in the ceiling box (even though they say it does). I had to feed the wires up into the attic and install the control box there. Not a problem as I can walk around in my attic. But for anyone with no access it could be a problem.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The AC which I never use (the remote, not the AC)

A stereo I rarely use (both the remote and the stereo)

Another stereo I use even less (I use the stereo more than the above stereo, but use the remote less)

My TV which I use almost daily (I almost never watch TV as is; it's mostly for watching DVDs)

My DVD player which I use almost daily (see above)

My VCR, which I use when I'm not watching a DVD (maybe once a week or so)

A voice-activated Universal Remote my wife got as a gift which is more bother to use than it's worth so I never use it.

Does my key fob count as a remote control?

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1-TV
    2-Stereo
    3-Dish
    4-X-box (media control)
    5-VCR/DVD
    6-TV (second TV in same room)
    7-Dish (second TV)
    8-X-box remotes (3 of those)
    9-Multi CD changer

That's it for my family room!

5. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My, my, my. Is this a commentary on the relative merits (or rewards?) of the physician and library science professions?

Couldn't "clapper" non-technology be substituted for electronics? What if the batteries in all of our remotes bit the dust on the same date? (And the laws of math guarantee that this will in fact happen, though doubtfully to everyone on the same day.)

Couldn't we revive Morse Code and clap our servants into (in)action?

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Jul 4 2007, 05:38 PM) [snapback]473163[/snapback]</div>
    We'd have to get up and walk over and adjust it manually. Like in ancient times.

7. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Individual remotes are for cavemen.

I started out with an original Philips Pronto in the late '90s. Then I upgraded to a ProntoPro when it came out:

[​IMG]

Then I upgraded (or sidegrade, as it was about the same price) to a URC MX-3000 after seeing one in action at a friend's house.

[​IMG]

I've got another friend whose Crestron home automation system cost more than both my cars put together. He's got color LCD touch panels in every room. There's no way I can spend that kind of money on home automation. The MX-3000 is maybe 65% of the functionality for 1/50th the price, at least as far as controlling the home theater goes.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jul 4 2007, 07:52 PM) [snapback]473221[/snapback]</div>
    They have their purposes.

I have two VCRs hooked up together to edit commercials or "outtakes" out of anything I might want to keep or show at school. I need two VCRs that do not use each others remotes. I usually take the remote of the good machine with me to test out on a replacement to make sure it doesn't work with the machine I'm considering buying.

I take video at school and like to edit it together smoothly. Less distraction means better class control.

At home, I like to edit out commercials on something I might want to watch again. I've lucked out here as my new panasonic doesn't edit out the commercials but it does mark then and fast forward through them without my help. Still annoying but I can live with that.

It would be nice to have a "universal" remote for the heater, AC and ceiling fan in the bedroom, but I don't think they make anything like that so I'm stuck with those three.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been eyeballing a universal remote, but the dang things are so expensive when I have something that works. Someday maybe. In reality I only use about 3 of them with any regularity.

I have some of those combo TV/DVDs and DVD/VCRs and even one TV/DVD/VCR and can't get the DISH remotes to work as the single remote for any of those and have never had luck with any of the cheap universals for those either.

10. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In this house, we have:

10 ceiling fan remotes
    2 garage door remotes
    2 fireplace remotes
    4 tv remotes
    2 dish remotes
    3 stereo remotes
    3 dvd remotes
    2 vcr remotes
    3 cd player remotes
    1 videocam remote
    2 alarm system remotes
    1 'boom box' remote
    2 car radio remotes (always wondered what the point was with those)
    and you're not gonna believe this, but we even have a LED lantern with a remote control

and I know I'm forgetting some! :blink:

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(You me and da Pri @ Jul 4 2007, 10:46 PM) [snapback]473298[/snapback]</div>
    I think you win.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yikes. we've got nothin' on most of you folks.

2 tv remotes, one of which hasn't been used in ages.
    1 vcr remote, again, not used in ages.
    1 dvd player remote, used rarely because we don't have time to watch movies.
    1 surround sound remote, used mainly to switch between radio and other music sources.
    oh oh oh and 2 wii controllers that haven't been used much lately either.

13. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Let's see...
    1 TV remote
    2 DVD player remotes (we have 2 DVD players)
    1 VCR remote.

Yup, that's it. No cable box, no satellite...

14. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am a caveman with a cave full of electronics.
    I have a Harmony 880 remote, but mostly find it easier to use the individual ones.
    Here is a list of the ones in actual use. There are more in reserve.

Home Theater Room
    Harmony 880
    Dish DVR1
    Dish DVR2
    Dish DVR3
    DVD
    DVD Recirder
    VHS
    Audio System
    Projector

Kitchen:
    TV
    Dish DVR1

Master Bedroom:
    TV
    Dish DVR1
    Dish DVR2
    Dish DVR3
    DVD
    Audio System

Son's room:
    TV
    Dish DVR3
    Xbox DVD

Daughter's room:
    TV
    Dish DVR3
    DVD
    DVR

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You me and da Pri still wins with 37.

16. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This could take a while...let's see.

I have maybe 25. Or is it 27? I know, but it's a lot. Heck, I even have one for the XM in my Highlander.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I didn't understand the "rules". If we're looking at total remotes this could get just stupid.

I'm upwards of 20, easily. Probably over 30...but I don't use more than a dozen of them in my main house on any routine basis...make that 15 if you count the controllers for the XBox.

18. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 5 2007, 01:00 AM) [snapback]473329[/snapback]</div>
    Ack! That made me count them for real.

Three DVD players in my editing room. Four DIRECTV boxes. Five TV's. Four Apples with Remotes. Apple TV. Eye TV on the Apple Mac. MD player. SACD player. HD player, BLU-RAY player, HDMI DVD player. Receiver. Tape Deck. Control box for HDMI. Projector. Turntable. VHS. Beta. Reel To Reel (with large remote). DVD player in that room, DVD player in that room. Receiver again, and again...Four fans with remotes. Remote for guitar amp. Four lights that run off remotes. Garage door opener. XM in car.

Okay, so it's 44. Really.

And man, that is a lot, now that you forced me to count them all.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm only counting the ones I use, not the ones I own.

But I'm still not close to being over 30. In fact, I don't think I even break 20.

20. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Jul 5 2007, 01:29 AM) [snapback]473344[/snapback]</div>
    Amazing, isn't it? I really had no idea we were so inundated with remotes until I starting counting the darn things!

All we need now is an automatic butt-wiper with a remote. Better check the Sharper Image catalog.