1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OK I want one.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by [email protected], Jul 17, 2006.

1. winterrosebudd@mac.com

[email protected] New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi everyone, this is my first post and thank you for reading! I live in Los Angeles and I drive alot. Not alot of freeway driving either...so why do all of my friends look at me like I have 10 heads everytime I mention wanting to get rid of my 03 Dodge Ram quad cab and getting a Prius instead? OK...don't get me wrong...I ADORE my truck...it is the truck of all trucks and I don't want to say anything negative...BUT...I feel like the horn should oink instead of honk. :p I feel like a pig driving it. OINK. It seems like anytime I mention this Prius thing that I want...some jack*** wants to start a heated arguement with me and tell me I'm stupid.

Why is this? Why can't people just say..."Wow...thats a great idea and how nice of you to be doing such a kind thing for this earth". I don't particularly think that the Prius is a cool looking car, I'm sacrificing my vanity LOL.. :lol: ...because I am sick and tired of our countries oil addiction and I would like to make a better future for the earth. I'm a hot rod girl and I like cars that go blub blub and smell like gas and yeah, for the price of a Prius I could have a decent GTO.

I appologize about my rambling but I feel so angry about this. I wanted to join up here and learn a little more about your lifestyles and your cars...while I finish paying off the Dodge. I still owe 5 grand...but it should be paid off soon by the time the 07 Priuses are out. :D I suppose I need to get on a waiting list.

I am at the point where I'm embarassed to be driving my truck. :(

2. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Rent one for a day. I did and put a deposit down when I returned the rental. Smartest and most fun car I have ever driven.

3. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    An impressive intro, kuki/Wilshire Blvd. Cruzer Girl! Welcome to PriusChat!

I agree, I had to endure a hit to my image when I went Prius. Now I've bought four. And in that time, gas has gone from $1.299 to, uh, $2.999 (today). Guess what, kuki! My REAL self-esteem has grown GOBS. Even people in my freaking FAMILY think I'm a genius, and wonder where I got all that foresight. :)

Pull up a chair and ask a question or two.

4. winterrosebudd@mac.com

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks. :p I feel better already. I guess all I really want is to throw rocks at hummers..while I quietly sneak up on them. :lol: Just kidding!

It felt just dandy putting 80 bucks in my gas tank today.

How long do you suppose the waiting lists are for the 07's? Is the 07 a different body style? I tried to image search yesterday to no avail.

5. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

I did not particularly care about my image, nor the Prius. But the first time I test drove one, I thought "cool!"

Technology wise, it is a very sweet ride, with many really cool features. The hybrid implentation is awesome.

My favorite was when someone said, "how do you like driving that THING?" No need to reply.

People also love to point out how the cost of the car will not offset the savings in gas. Who knows? It depends on how much you drive and what you think the cost of gas will go up to. For my part, it is nice saving gas and the environment.

My advice, dump the truck and the naysayers. Join the crowd. :)

6. mastergunnera8

mastergunnera8 Junior Member

I'm feelin ya man...

Check out my first post:My Crew Cab truck went away

I'm on my second tank of fuel, 50.2 MPG or so....I'm still going through withdrawel, but I really like the technology...

Don't worry, you'll be just fine!!!

7. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    From what we know, there'll be little if any styling changes in '07. From Toyota's perch, why mess with resounding success?

Most of the speculation is on substantial HSD change for '08 or '09---possible upgraded battery pack and maybe a plug-in feature for real all-electric use.

I don't know if (m)any dealers are even accepting deposits yet for '07s. But in L.A. you're sure to be able to be #1 on someone's list! Most recommended dealer there, if you didn't know, is Longo, but there are other good ones.

8. winterrosebudd@mac.com

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lil Mo @ Jul 17 2006, 08:36 PM) [snapback]287887[/snapback]</div>

Its not really the price of the gas so much for me...its really the gas itself...like you said, the environment. The gas savings will be a nice treat. My image..well...that's what I do for a living, I'm a fashion designer, I have crazy hair, big shoes...all that stuff...I'm into hopefully making this car my image...soley with the statement "IT" makes.

I commend you for being so calm as to not replying to that comment. I would have told him he should be thanking me for driving that *thing*.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mastergunnera8 @ Jul 17 2006, 08:41 PM) [snapback]287892[/snapback]</div>

Yeah withdrawals...I'll need some help with that.

9. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kuki @ Jul 17 2006, 06:52 PM) [snapback]287895[/snapback]</div>
    This is one car that you can do that with - check out the many threads on customization. :D

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sounds like you need to find new friends. If your friends are down on you for wanting to buy a reliable, economical, technologically-advanced car, you are hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Find your local Green Party, or join a Unitarian Universalist church, and you will have people encouraging you to buy that Prius.

It's only speculation and rumor, but the consensus is that the 2009 model year Prius, likely to be on the streets around october of 2008, will be the next major model revision, with a Lithium battery instead of NiMH, perhaps 9 miles worth of electric energy in the battery, and MAYBE the option (but certainly not the requirement) to plug it in. All speculation.

The 2006 differed from the 2004 and 2005 principally in having a back-up camera and the ability to play MP3 CDs. Also, leather interior became available in the top trim line, although I thought someone said somewhere that it's not real leather. It seems unlikely that the 2007 will be significantly different.

When you can place an order will certainly depend on the individual dealer. Some dealers may not want to fuss with someone who wants to buy a car in a year from now. Other dealers may be happy to establish a relationship with you based on your choice of delivery time.

Congratulations on an excellent decision, and good luck. Your truck may be a great truck, but it's silly to drive a truck if all you need is a car.

11. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kuki @ Jul 17 2006, 08:12 PM) [snapback]287868[/snapback]</div>
    Hi kuki. Welcome to PriusChat!

Well, you've certainly got the right attitude about it, and that's an excellent first step toward rationalizing your decision. Glad to see future owners are still looking at the "big picture." While buying a Prius hybrid probably isn't going to significantly decrease our dependence on foreign oil, every little bit counts!

I think there are a variety of answers to your question. I think some make the anti-hybrid comments out of ignorance, some out of fear (either for yourself or of the technology), some out of a false perception that environmental responsibility isn't "cool" - the same concept as those that think smoking, drinking, and doing drugs is "cool" - and still some who have been brainwashed over the years by car companies, media and peers to think bigger is better and the more you waste, the more "badass" you are.

Heck, listen to the lyrics of the new Ford commercial starring Taylor Hicks (American Idol winner): "I get what I want; I go where I please; I do it my way; 'cause that's what I say; and that's what's for me; Possibilities."

Translated: I have a vehicle that can go anywhere and do anything. I'm such a badass because I have all of these "possibilities." Sort of the musical equivalent of a pissing contest where he's saying "my vehicle can kick your vehicle's butt." Bold Moves, indeed.

We all have various reasons regarding our car-purchase decision; some just value those reasons more than others.

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kuki @ Jul 17 2006, 09:12 PM) [snapback]287868[/snapback]</div>
    definately rent one for a day or two to give yourself a taste of genius

also...

calculate how much gas you use per month in your current ride and then the cost difference if you were to average only 45 mpg and you will get a crossover where your savings from gas by owning the prius will exceed your debt on your truck. see how many months it would take. i would calculate at $3.00 per gallon to be conservative - i dont see prices slipping that much as the chinese and indians will continue to stress oil supplies, the middle east will not cool off for at least a year, no new refinary capacity in the US and no significant increase in world production on the horizen.

example

assume 3000 miles per month driving
    your truck at 15 mpg -- 200 gallons -- $600
    prius at 45 mpg -- 66.6 gallons -- $200
    savings per month $400

if you owe $5,000 that would take 12.5 months of prius ownership to the crossover. so if you are done paying your loan in more than that time it would make financial sense to get the prius now...

just a cute game you could play.

13. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kuki @ Jul 17 2006, 08:33 PM) [snapback]287885[/snapback]</div>
    kuki......I just filled up my Prius, and put in 9.3 gallons of gas. I think I spent about 26 bucks with a range of 460 miles. Not bad. We Prius owners are being gas conscious and environmentally friendly. Plus it's a fun cool car to drive.

Anyone notice the new Nissan ads on TV? They have their version of CVT and Smartkey.

14. marjam

marjam Member

Don't worry about those who scorn you. It's just Prius envy!

Welcome to the forum.

15. scruopec

scruopec New Member

I had my heart set on a Caddy with a V-8 yes the Vette engine. After watching my mobil bill grow and my cash getting smaller. I said screw it and grew up. At first my friends said why but after one of them went to LA with me (200+ miles). shes shopping for one now! And do you realize the shopping youll do with all the gas saved, not to mention the fun of cruizing the mall @ 99.9 mpg?
    Youll wonder what took you so long to even consider it. HOWEVER, if it wasnt a Toyota or a hybrid youd never catch me on the lot even wondering if I should buy it!

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you bought the Prius now you'd not only start saving on gas immediately, you'd also still qualify for the tax credit. Why don't you see if any of the dealers would take your current vehicle in trade even though you still owe on it. I'm sure something could be arranged. If you're not real fussy about color and package you could get a Prius pretty soon.

I'd recommend a test drive minimum, rent one even better.

And ignore your friends. They may change their tune after you buy your Prius and gas goes up again. If they don't....maybe they're not such good friends. Or maybe you're just making them feel guilty and it's defensive.

17. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congrats on your forward thinking. :) The first thing I noticed when I went to test drive my Prius is how roomy it is. The car has more room than I thought. Everytime my wife gets in the car with me see makes the comment on how quite it is. She is still amazed. My 17 yr old son uses it every time he can for dates (his girlfriend thinks this is the coolest car) and to car pool his friends into town. The day I brought the car home I had a dozen high school kids over looking at it. It seems the younger generation is more in tune with the earth that us old farts (I'm 48). But I am changing my ways.

Oh, don't forget to include maintenance cost when you do a cost comparision. My son has a 98 Dodge 1500 SLT and we have spent over $1500 on repairs this year alone so far. :angry:

:) This car is a blast to drive! :lol: :D

18. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree with those who recommended renting a Prius. And if you can find one on a lot (we have plenty in Northern Virginia!), go out for a test drive or two. It is a remarkable car, even without the high gas mileage.

And it's clean, something that I put right up there with high gas mileage. On the way to work today, coming up I-95 towards the District, an electronic sign said: Bad air day. Well, not to be too smog-smug, but I felt good that our Prius was not contributing to the bad air the way virtually all other vehicles do.

When you add up the features - standard and optional - and all the safety equipment, and the practicality & roominess of a hatchback, and a hefty tax credit (if you act quickly), and did I mention the gas mileage? .... well, the Prius is a very, very nice car.

But see for yourself - rent one, test drive one, and you will be impressed.

19. tyrael

tyrael Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm definitely loving the drive every morning. I do have to say that it stinks that my commute is only ~ 9 miles or so every morning with just under 15 mins, so my gas avg, is a little low.

I think that it has been a week now since I had the vehicle. I've driven about 210 miles and the fuel gauge is just starting to register 1 pip below full! I was surprised that it actually took that many miles! I was starting to think if my fuel gauge was actually broken, but now the game is over. How far do you guys go without falling below 1 pip from full.

20. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey kuki, tell us more about these jackasses who get on your case
    about Priuses. What are their arguments? How do they present it?
    Do you get any sense that they're hiding something about themselves?
    _H*