1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OK, Now I get it!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by QED, Jan 5, 2006.

1. QED

QED New Member

Thought I would take a break from reading the Owner's Manual.

Just picked up my '06 Seaside Pearl #3 --- I LIKE THIS CAR.

First impressions :
    1-I really like the Seaside Pearl with the gray interior. The seats are a nice medium gray. For you photogs out there, its very to close to 'middle gray'. It blends very well with all of the other shades of gray throughout the interior.

2-Having the ICE turn off for the first time at a stop sign was a hoot.

3-My initial two mpg bars were kind of disappointing, but the third was 50mpg with about half highway and half surface streets.

4-The visibility out of the left and right rear is really pretty good. Although I think it will take a while to get use to the rear window split by the spoiler.

5-The backup camera is great! I have to make kinda of a reverse half u-turn to get into my driveway and the camera really helps me clear a telephone pole and sometimes other cars.

6-I find the seats to be firm but reasonably comfortable. Between sitting with the salesman and then driving home I was sitting continuously for over an hour; no problem. However, I did find that the back seat seemed even firmer, too firm even (not while I was driving :D ).

7-The increased resolution of the MFD is very nice. I made a conscience effort to only glance at it once in a while.

Dealer specific impressions (of passing interest for most since I am in Hawaii):
    1-Gotta love this dealer. Great to work with from the start.

2-It's the first time I have gotten such a thorough introduction to a car, including a tour of the service facility.

3-I didn't even talk to a finance person! I had already told the salesperson that I didn't want any extras, had my financing pre-arranged, soI signed all the paper work with the salesman and that was it!!

4-MSRP - which is ok I guess since they are the only game in town.

5-Free mats!

6-Free car care kit.

7-Downside. The only extended warranty available is through the dealer and they do not discount it all. I guess I will do what someone suggested in another thread. Put away $50 a month and, if I decide to get it, buy it down the road (so to speak).

Many thanks to everyone at PC. You helped me make this car purchase smoooooth and easy. I never had any buyers doubt.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's not true. You can buy it through PriusChat from Troy. If they told you that they lied to you. Call Toyota to confirm if you wish, but there's a huge thread on this with lots of comments and satisfied customers who've been given the same line of misinformation.

3. QED

QED New Member

Thanks - I was going to check it out more closely. No real rush, right?

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congratulations on your new car! You have the lesser of three years or 36,000 miles to make up your mind about the extended warranty. Since the Hawaiian Toyota distributor is the only game in the state, double check with TOG here (Troy Dietrich) to make sure the corporate Toyota USA warranty will be honored there.

5. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Just out of curiosity, do they not include the mats and their price ($186 stateside) on the MSRP sticker? If they do, you got the car slightly under MSRP! :)

Congrats on the car. Don't wish you were here. Wish I were there! :p

6. QED

QED New Member

Under MSRP, yea, didn't think of it like that. :D

Been there, done that (tour at Mather AFB). I liked the Sacramento area; plus San Francisco on one side and Tahoe on the other.

The daytime temp here has been around 78-80. Can't leave that. Isn't that the sweet spot for mileage? The first tank will tell B)

7. QED

QED New Member

Thanks. I think I read some threads that said the regular Toyota USA warranty is not honored in Hawaii unless you bought it elsewhere and then shipped the car to Hawaii (I guess they have no choice then).
    With my mileage, I have three years to sort it out.

8. rogerSC

rogerSC Member

My extended warranty explicitly says that it can be cancelled in the first 2 months. After that, you're stuck unless you make a lot of noise. So yes, there is a small amount of rush needed in taking care lowering your extended warranty costs. I'd go ahead and cancel it as soon as you can get it done, don't wait.

-Roger

9. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Was the navigation system available or is Hawaii still not included in Toyoto's navigation coverage? We are moving to Oahu next year and would consider getting an Island Prius but my wife has become dependent on CarMyne's guidance system.

10. QED

QED New Member

As far as I know the Nav system is not available.
    It is not listed in the option packages that the dealer gave me. I'm not sure why not. I have heard that the reason is lack of demand.

You could contact the dealer and see if they are willing to bring in a Prius with a Nav system.
    http://www.toyotahawaii.com

11. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It seems the issue is that Hawaii (and Alaska) are not included in the map databases that Toyota produces for it's vehicles. Your right that the reason might be lack of demand. The US database includes CONUS and Canada. Obviously there are other databases for vehicles in Europe and Japan. I was just hoping that they had added the missing US states when they did the 06 NAV upgrade for the higher resolution MFD. Thanks for the reply.