1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ok so close to 100K......

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SimplySandy, Aug 17, 2015.

1. SimplySandy

SimplySandy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought the car at the beginning of the year unfortunately I bought the warranty plan which I found out later was complete BS they actually refunded me for the full amount however now I do not have a warranty on the Prius in a close to 100,000 miles, I'm not sure if I should trade it up or just ride it into the ground it's still such a beautiful car has given me no problems......

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Making car payments for the rest of your life is a really good way to minimize your break-downs, but there's a price for that....namely making car payments for the rest of your life.

What I prefer to do is keep a few months worth of living expenses in the bank and drive cars until they're 10 years old or have reached lunar mileage. I'm not quite to the point where I'm able to buy my next car for cash (unless I buy a used one) but for many people there is a midway point between not ever making car payments and not ever being able to retire because you spent your working life making car payments.

In your case, I'm thinking that a 2010 with 100,000 miles on the clock looks pretty dang nice from a not having to make payments perspective. Follow the maintenance schedule, check your oil level every 1,000 miles, consider a CVT fluid change, and just hang out.

Worrying about something that might happen is like paying interest on money that you haven't borrowed yet.
    You want to be prepared, but I wouldn't replace a G3 with 100,000 miles with another G3 with 10 miles and 48-60 payments.

Good Luck!

mmmodem, CR94, matt b. and 1 other person like this.
  3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How many other cars have warranties after 100000 miles? At least you discovered extended warranties are crap and got your money refunded.

As ETC(SS) said buying new cars every three years just to have something under full warranty is an expensive way to live. The Prius has the highest fuel economy and lowest maintenance and repair costs of anything running on gasoline. I infer that since you bought a 5 year old car with close to 100000 miles on it you either can't or don't want to drop ~$25000 on a new one.

Relax, enjoy and bank the savings. If you really don't like the Prius wait until gas prices spike in your area before selling the car.

4. SimplySandy

SimplySandy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks guys.....

5. SimplySandy

SimplySandy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe it's just a itch.......lol

6. FroggyTaco

FroggyTaco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Write back when your approaching 200K.

My in-laws 2008 Gen II has 195K on it & still has the factory brake pads & traction battery. Aside from some recall work the car has had ZERO failures/break downs.

ETC(SS) and Hasan like this.
  7. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a pickup truck with OVER 200K on it. I was going to replace it when I got the Prius. I couldn't find a pickup truck that matched the MPG I was getting, and I wasn't going to get a new pickup truck with WORSE MPG as a daily driver.

Keep it running until the wheels fall off.

Once you hit 100K, the only virtue in dumping your current ride for another is if you plan to apply the value you'd get in the sale towards the new vehicle. I'd always want a pickup truck available, so regulating it to farm use and running it once a month is good enough for me.

Likewise, when the Prius hits 100K, unless I really wanted a different vehicle, I'd just run it until it's too expensive to fix (relative to market value). Once it's paid off, every mile driven is value gained.