1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ok, so how would i add a subwoofer plus amp?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Kev1000000, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

Ok, so i got like 400 bucks in best buy gift cards and want to add some thumpin bass to my prius.

How would i go about doing this? I want to add a small, but useful sub and an amp to power that bad boy.

Now, if i get a new amp + sub, does the nav stuff and all the prius features still work?

And can you recommend any good amps or subs from best buy?

Again, im clueless about this stuff!

Thanks guys! :)

2. krooster1234

krooster1234 New Member

Do a search on the audio/electronics forum, it's got all the info you need (well almost). Here are the things I learned, from installing a sub for the first time ever:

The prius sound system sucks for adding on to it. I have the JBL system, and I think the following info is the same for the standard system (someone let me know if I'm wrong please). The volume/fading/balance is all done by the amp located under the passenger seat. So, the signal that you have to wire to your sub's amp must be the speaker level output of the JBL amp (you can't use the signal coming out of the stereo if you want volume control). This means you either need an amp that can take speaker level inputs, or you need this thing that converts speaker level signals to preamp level signals. I think the best signal to use is the signal that runs to the rear door's woofers.

Someone posted schematics for the sound system on this forum, which lets you know where you can access the signals, although it's annoying because there is no easy way to access the signals. I ended up completely disassembling the JBL amp, and soldering the speaker wires to the PCB of the amp. I suppose you could splice into the wires coming out of the amp, but I don't have experience with making solid connections in that way so I didn't feel comfortable doing that.

Also, you need to know where the signal is that is high when the car is on, and ground when the car is off (it's on a wire coming out of the amp). This needs to be run to the sub's amp, so the sub's amp knows when it's supposed to be on/off so it's not sucking up energy when not in use.

I think then all that's left is +12V from the battery to the sub's amp, and ground to the sub's amp (both these wires need to be fairly large guage, as should be stated in the amp's manual). Oh and then a fuse on the +12V line.

Installing the sub was much harder than I thought it would be, and paying someone else to do it probably would have been worth it, but since I didn't fry any electronics if I had to do it over again I would do it myself (minus the cutting my finger open and getting stitches).

Oh yeah, and if you use signals leaving the JBL amp as the input for the sub's amp, the sub will mute along with the other speakers when the nav lady talks, or bluetooth phone call, or whatever.

I can't comment on good deals on subs/amps, not enough experience with different brands. I can definitely say though that my 10" sub is more than enough bass, and going any larger would be pointless. I suspect an 8" sub would work too, although I'm sure all that depends on the sub/amp combo.

3. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

so would best buy install it the way you described?

Thanks for the awesome info btw! :)

4. krooster1234

krooster1234 New Member

I don't know what Best Buy would do... I would be wary letting Best Buy do the work if they've never worked on a prius before... I would probably read up on the wiring schematics and ask to talk to the person doing the work to see exactly how they were doing it, plus that way you could tell them where you want the amp placed. Although I suppose I trusted myself doing the install, so it would be silly not to trust a Best Buy tech who does that sort of thing for a living.

I think someone posted a thread awhile ago about going to some car audio place, and they got a sub AND amp installed under the floor of the hatch area. That sounds awesome, but I already had the sub and amp from a previous car and the sub enclosure I think needs to be custom-fit to the compartment under the hatch area.

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I can say that those who have done it spent way more than $400 though.

6. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

^^ an amp + sub is more than 400?

And im willing to spend a bit more

7. Vernon

Vernon New Member

The amp/sub I had installed totalled about $600. Mainly because of the custom sub enclosure which was $200, plus an additional $100 for its 8" speaker. I needed a custom enclosure to fit in the compartment between the hatch floor and the spare tire because: (1) I use the hatch area often; (2) for theft deterrence; and (3) an unsecured box in the hatch area could be a safety problem in case of an accident. The sub works very well under the floor. No discernable difference in sound with the floor in place, or removed. I posted photos in another thread.

8. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

New Question.
    ---------------------------------

I talked with a Car Audio shop today and they gave me a qoute on upgrading the system. But after reading this post I got a few new questions.

They told me to get a 5 Channel Alpine amp and Sub. Which I would guess replaces the old JBL amp... But if they do this. My volume won't turn down when I get a phone call??? I don't like that.

How would they have to wire it to keep that volume control feature and have the new amp run all the speakers?

9. krooster1234

krooster1234 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimeFor\";p=\"45475)</div>
    I assume they have access to the wiring schematics, and I also assume they haven't looked at them yet if they're telling you that.... plus they may not know how all the audio is integrated (navigation, bluetooth, etc.) I haven't heard anyone on this forum mention any practical way to replace the amp. Anyone have ideas?

10. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

I spoke with the audio installer today and he said...

We'll leave the stock amp and have just the Nav computer running though it. Then run a new wire to the Center speaker on the dash to run just the Nav and phone system.

The we install a 5 Channel amp in the back to run everything else. Anyone see any problems with this?

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The signal coming out of the header is uncontrolled. A separate network control signal tells the amp what volume, balance, and fade to use. It may also control the EQ at the amp.

Only if the replacement amp is Toyota compatable would you be able to replace the JBL amp.

12. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Anyone know if there is a 'trigger' wire coming out of the base stereo system (no JBL amp)? I'm adding an amp and sub(s) to my AM package base system that does not have the trigger wire going to the JBL amp. I know Vernon in Hawaii added an amp and triggered it off the same trigger wire for the JBL amp. I'm going to use a low-level adaptor off the rear speakers. Power and ground should be pretty straight forward off the battery and chassis, but the trigger (turn-on) wire has me a little baffled. If there isn't one on the base systeem, I'm going to use the ACC wire from the homelink mirror install I did, running that thru a relay. Love my (project) Prius!

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

There is an output to the antenna amplifier on pin 8 of connector A. Don't know if it would be live with anything else besides radio. It's an orange wire.

Otherwise, use the ACC wire on pin 3, same connector. It's gray.

14. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Thanks DanMan32! Truly you are 'the man'. I have a good friend whom I have called Dan the man since high school. Any relation--ha-ha. I now have a project pending with this new info, will report back with results. Drive fun, drive clean, drive Prius.

15. mmccking

mmccking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A bit off topic, but what is the center channel used for? I thought it was for the nav and voice, but they're coming from my driver speakers, that is when my nav or car voice comes on, my driver speakers mute and she speaks through them.

I have an 2005 btw.

16. Craig0812

Craig0812 New Member

Thanks everyone for the information on the audio system. I checked with Car Toys, a local stereo installation center in Houston, Texas, and the guy told me I could change out the speakers and put in the Infinity speakers with something called a crossover with tweeters. If I wanted bass, I would have to install an amplifier or subwoofer. The speakers alone with installation would be around $526.00. I want better clarity at higher volumes and no "rattling" when the bass is up. Any suggestion or comments? Thanks again!!!!

17. viffer_pilot

viffer_pilot New Member

I have read just about everything I could on this topic in the different threads. I am not an audiophile but I was wondering...couldn't you just install the sub with a small mono amp to power it using speaker level inputs. I know that speaker level in's are not the best option but I'm not planning on entering the car in any stereo competitions. I'd sooner take it to the drag strip.

Even if the amp was more powerful than the stock amp, the gain could be adjusted so that it did not overpower the stock system. With an efficient speaker I think this would be an inexpensive way to add a bit of base to the JBL sys.

Anyone have any experience with this option? Thanks.

18. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Yep, that's pretty much what I did!

I ran the rear speaker wires (got 'em under the doorsill panels on either side of car) into a low-level adapter, then into a 4-channel amp (bridged to 2 channels with low pass filter on amp).

I built 2 sub boxes to fit under the front seats (6" 100 W Panasonic sub-woofers). The amp is in the back, in the 'below decks' cargo pan.

I am using the ACC wire at the back of the radio to trigger the amp. The 'antenna' trigger wire turns off when the CD is on, so I couldn't use it. I have the base stereo in a #7. Which reminds me, now I need to update my signature!

Anyway, look at pics at Webshots.com. User name is finman100. The sound is great, not overly so, but really nice and solid. I may add an 8" in the right rear cubby using fiberglass like l've seen here on Priuschat, but right now it's fine. Drive fun, drive clean, drive Prius!

19. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I found out in a thread on PriusOnline that the center channel, as per Harmon, is L+R, so you could feasably use that for the mono sub amp.

That is, if you have the JBL system.