1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OK strange noise

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ronlewis, Jul 23, 2023.

1. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    OK, different car than my other current thread. Hadn't driven it in a while. Since I bought it, the brake warning comes on for 10 secs or so whenever you turn right. I did the blinking lights test and it points at the driver's rear, which is right where this car got hit in a wreck. Otherwise, it drove nicely. I drove it all the way to TX from GA.

But, I think it might have something draining the battery drain as well, so I leave the battery disconnected and don't drive it much. The last time I tried, however, it started making a strange loud noise. It sounds like its coming from behind the dash or behind the electric engine. It sounds like a cross between something scraping or grinding in a rhythmic pattern - but not in sync with the ICE engine RPM or wheel speed - and something trying to suck an empty container - like trying to suck the last of a milkshake through the straw. I drove it home and hadn't messed with it since until yesterday. With my other car needing an HV battery, I need to get this one working.

So, I started it yesterday, sounded fine. Backed out of the driveway and discovered that I had no brake pedal. Like it had lost all of it fluid. I drove it around the block and got a little pedal back, but still not good, and then the loud noise came back. The brake alerts came on, but unlike before, they never went out.

Went home and was idling in the driveway trying to pull codes when the engine dies and the triangle came on. Only code (from TorquePro) was 3191. So, this morning, I cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor, and cleared the code, and after starting up, it never died, never threw a code. Idled nicely in the driveway for maybe 10 mins. Checked the brake fluid level and it's Max.

So, I got in it to test drive and still don't have much brake pedal. And as soon as I put it in forward gear, the brake warnings lit up and then the loud noise comes back. Parked again, the noise continues. I turn the AC on and off, the fan, the recirculate, anything else electric, and the sound continues. Turn off the key, and when I restart a minute later, the noise is gone.

Do any of these things point to a specific issue you've experienced?

Why am I losing brake pedal when my reservoir is full and I don't see leakage from any wheels/elsewhere? I'd assumed my brake issues were electrical - that the wiring to that driver's rear wheel ABS was shorting somewhere from the wreck. It drove fine doing that for about a thousand miles, but, now it's changed. Did something happen or is it just progression of the original problem not being repaired?

And what is that noise. My inverter pump is working fine - full of fluid that's flowing like a river. The AC works, and turning it off doesn't affect the noise. The noise continues sitting Ready with the ICE not running. That leaves the electric engine or something not even related to the engine (if this was an ICE-only car, I'd bet anything it's a non-engine problem, but I don't know what problems with the other side of this engine sound like.

If the noise is from something cycling, which it sounds like, it cycles very, very slowly, maybe two revolutions per second. There's a solid beat between each noise, each lasts about a half second. And the noise doesn't sound exactly the same every time. Real close, but a little different too, as if other factors were affecting it, like it gets a good suck of milkshake and then the next one is not so good unless you move the straw. Not consistently, but enough to know that something is changing.

Finally, I recall others having issues with parasitic battery drains. Any good threads on that, info elsewhere, that I can read to learn how to diagnose those?

2. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Ok, I should have read threads first, but I like to info-dump before I forget in my old age. I found another thread with an audio recording, and my noise is the same. The OP doesn't follow up that it was solved, but the convo had progressed to suspecting the "brake actuator." Which corresponds to my brakes going out. So, I'm going to go find more brake threads and read the service manual section on brakes. Any advice is still welcomed.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I was going to say with your brake lights lighting up to Christmas tree and followed with having no pedal That's a definite clue that you're accumulator pump assembly is bad in the generation 2. In the generation one I have no idea but I would imagine it's a similar can of worms.

4. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes, thanks, that's what I'm learning, but in Gen1, they're all separate parts, and all a PITA to replace. Trying to pinpoint which one.

5. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I changed two of them on a 2013 v...... not any fun........

6. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I don't have Techstream, so I jumped the pins on the OBDII plug and got the brake codes from the blinking dash lights. 52, 56, and 59.

I'm assuming those refer to:

C1252/52 - Hydraulic brake booster pump motor ON time abnormally long. The fixes are either:
    Hydraulic brake booster pump motor
    Hydraulic brake booster pump motor circuit
    Pressure switch (PH or PL)

C1256/56 - Malfunction of accumulator low pressure. The fixes are:
    Accumulator
    Pressure switch (PH or PL)
    Hydraulic brake booster pump motor

C1259/59 - Malfunction in regenerative of HV ECU.
    HV control system
    HV ECU

Not sure what that last one is about, or what symptom associates to it. I'm thinking it might clear up and will troubleshoot it last.

Does anyone see a likely culprit in those codes? Looks like it's either the pump motor, accumulator, the pressure switch, or all of them.

Thinking through it, I expect the noise I hear is that pump motor, as in it's running and might not be bad. Maybe, there is a leak that's not letting it build pressure, but it keeps trying. IDK.

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Brake booster components

#7 rjparker, Jul 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2023
    ronlewis likes this.
  8. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I think that post is deleted.

#8 ronlewis, Jul 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The C1252 and C1256 are a familiar pairing that tell you the accumulator pump isn't succeeding in getting the proper accumulator pressure.

Gen 1 does not have an accumulator pressure sensor that you can read with a scan tool and see the actual pressure; it only has two pressure switches, a high and a low one (which shouldn't ever be closed at the same time, of course; that would indicate one of them is stuck, which is one of the reasons C1256 can be set).

The procedure in the repair manual for troubleshooting C1256 has you first attach a brake pressure gauge (something with a range that can handle 3,000 psi, Toyota suggests their 09709-29018) at one of the wheel cylinders, so you can see what pressures you're getting. It suggests a quick pressure check, then a check that the pump motor operates, then checks of what pressures activate the PH and PL switches. Looks like PH wants to see 1820 to 2916 psi, and PL looks for below 1308 to 2190 psi. (I see those ranges overlap, but it seems Toyota must avoid building accumulator assemblies where the PL switch responds at a higher pressure than PH, to avoid setting this code.)

Depending on what you find, the suggestion may be to replace the "brake booster" assembly, or the brake ECU, or fix wiring. There are 6 troubleshooting pages in the manual for this code.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

When they say "brake booster" in this section, their English translators haven't paid great attention to what they officially call the parts. They mean the pump and accumulator assembly; the actual brake booster is nothing but a small chamber at the rear of the master cylinder, and a spool valve at the front of it. In Gen 3, for example, they use "brake booster pump assembly" to mean the pump and accumulator business, and "brake booster" to mean the master cylinder (which in Gen 3 includes a bunch of other stuff too).

But in Gen 1 they used a weirder naming, where one thing is called "brake booster (master cylinder portion)" and the pump and accumulator thing is called "brake booster (power supply portion)", and that one is the one that has the motor and pump and accumulator and both pressure switches.

[​IMG]

C1252 just means the brake ECU has been trying to power the pump for 5 solid minutes or more, which is way longer than it should ever take to build up to PH pressure.

So maybe the pump isn't running when the ECU wants it to (wiring or relay or motor problem), but if you hear it running, then it may be weak, or worn, or there is an internal or external fluid leak somewhere so the pressure can't build. There are 7 pages of troubleshooting for C1252.

C1259 is one of those codes that everybody just oughtta know, so it's explained right on the blink code how-to page:

Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat

It means there are other trouble codes, coming from the car's hybrid-vehicle ECU (orchestra conductor), and the brake ECU is just telling you to be sure to look at those too.

Not all scan tools can read the HV ECU codes (and the HV ECU doesn't do blink codes, regrettably).

Tim Jones likes this.
  10. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Great info, sir. Thank you so much. Yes, I recall seeing a section on the blink page about generic codes, probably why I was thinking to ignore it.

I've never gotten an XP machine to run the Techstream copy I bought online, so much of the diagnostic part will be difficult. However, I have a parts car (maybe two). Would my chances for success be good, assuming the used parts were good, just swapping all of them in? Except it could still be the wiring, of course.

My guess is a leak. It's only made that noise a short time, two short drives. Sounds like it still works, just keeps sucking air. Would swapping in parts fix the common leak points?

Looking at the price of these parts, it's not likely I'd buy new ones for this old car. I'm already needing a battery in another car, between that and selling the cat assembly, I'd get my money out of it. But, this one has life left, if I fix that noise cheap.

11. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    That assembly circled is the one that comes out the wheel well? IIRC, a thread said Toyota calls it a 10-hour job requiring the AC be discharged and disconnected. But one guy found an easier way, then another guy found a way he says can do the job in two hours (that means eight for me). Does that sound like the same part?

Here's that thread. He describes the process in Post #3.

Hi! I need advice changing the brake actuator on classic prius. | PriusChat

12. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Your still using xp? Works great on Win10................

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did see that thread before. In the picture posted above, notice there are three assemblies circled: one is the "brake booster (power supply portion)", one is the "brake booster (master cylinder portion)", and one is the "brake actuator".

But using wrong names for Prius brake parts is sort of a universal rite of passage that everybody does. The thread you linked was for somebody replacing the "(power supply portion)" but calling it the "brake actuator", even though that's the real name of a completely different part he didn't touch.

(When pointed out in that thread, the poster then showed a description from the online seller listing that had the word 'actuator'. But the online seller had just thrown in every name they'd ever heard for any brake part in the front of the car, to get more Google hits. That kind of keyword spamming is a danger to people spending money and hoping to get the right part.)

As far as replacing the (power supply portion), or what in later generations is called the pump and accumulator, Toyota's procedure does involve evacuating and recharging the A/C. I don't remember how long they said the job should take.

PriusChat member rlin78 was the first to post a method without disturbing the A/C, and said doing it that way took about ten hours (but saved all the fuss with A/C refrigerant). That more recent thread from Ol drippy also proceeds without disturbing the A/C, and maybe I'm missing it but I don't see anything in that post about how long it took. I'd say it wouldn't be a bad idea to clear your day before you start.

14. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Well, heck, not sure where I came up with the idea Ol Drippy's way would take 2 hours. And yeah, I had read all that mix up with part names. I noticed confusing references in the service manual as well.

So, this car may be toast. Not worth those expensive parts, not worth 10 hours or more of labor, not worth evacuating the AC. Even scavenging the parts off my other car adds several more hours of labor.

My last chance is that it's just a leak, such that if I find and repair the leak, then bleed the brakes, I could be good. I have a likely suspect - that rear driver's side wheel. That's where the wreck was, that's what the dash screen pointed to when I did the self-test. I looked at it and didn't see anything wrong, but I thought it was electrical because the ABS wiring was dislodged. Now, I'm thinking it's a leaking air issue,and not that wiring. Not sure what I'll be looking for, but I'll look at it again this evening

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are two kinds of leak. In an external leak, something is dripping or spraying brake fluid, so the fluid is leaving the car. You might find spots of brake fluid somewhere.

In an internal leak, fluid pumped up to high pressure in the accumulator just finds its way past some worn valve inside the system and ends up back in the reservoir. No brake fluid is leaving the car, it's just that the accumulator pressure won't hold up.

If there's an external leak, you'd expect to see the level getting lower and lower in the reservoir. If that's not happening, an internal leak is more likely.

16. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yeah, fluid is still MAX level. I wonder if there's any such valves back by the rear wheel that could have been damaged in wreck?

17. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Well dang, I'm too old, and not old enough. I run Windows7. probably easier to upgrade to 10 than find an old XP. Thanks.

18. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I should mention that if you like train wrecks, I try to document my escapades here. I have no pride and am a constant source of entertainment for my diesel forum buddies. So...

This is going to be fun. From the different descriptions I've read for replacing the brake booster assembly, I think it can come out the top or the bottom. I may end up doing both as I pull it from my parts car and swap it to my rebuild car. On the parts car, I don't care about AC lines, connectors, etc. And, I've already got the inverter out and will be removing the brake actuator assembly as well. I'm assuming the service manual says to disco the AC lines because it intends it to come out the top, so with all that other stuff out of the way, I don't see why it wouldn't.

Going back in though, I'll have all that stuff in the way. From Ol Drippy's write up, we know it will go in through the bottom/side. However, having pulled the inverters now a couple of times, that task isn't daunting (especially after discovering that the cowl comes off,lol), so I wonder whether it's easier to do that than go in from the bottom. Pulling the fender well isn't hard though either.

I think I'll leave the actuator in the parts car for now, to see if I can remove the booster assembly with it in place, and estimate whether I could get it out with the inverter in place as well. If so, I may go back in from the top. IDK at this point. I'm just old and hate crawling under cars.

Only thing y'all need to know is, whichever way I choose will end up being the harder way.

#18 ronlewis, Aug 18, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
  19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Especially in Gen 1, I recommend working harder at using the right names for the parts.

[​IMG]

When you say "brake booster assembly" in Gen 1, as you see, there are two different parts you could be talking about. The one you surely mean is the "power supply portion", also known as the pump/accumulator.

What's worse for the confusion is once you get into later Prius generations, "brake booster assembly" definitely means a different part than you're talking about. (You can be a little sloppy in Gen 2, 'cause that one just has one assembly that's most of the things you'd ever replace.)

20. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I might pull the master cylinder too, but yeah, it's that PS/Accumulater portion that I gotta wrestle in and out. thx