1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ok to drive with only 2 of 3 strut nuts?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by joeynickels, Feb 19, 2022.

1. joeynickels

joeynickels Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    While installing a Cusco STB today, one of the studs on the driver's side strut sheared off. Actually, it's the stud on the lift kit that was previously installed on the strut. Weirdly, it came off before any torquing. Gonna get it replaced, in the meantime, am I gonna be ok to drive with only 2 of 3 mounting points tightened down?

IMG_2158.JPG

2. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Only slow and a short distance would be OK.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Similar to what I dealt with when replacing the spark plugs on my V6 Camry.

One of the strut mounting bolts sheared off when I was torqueing the nut down (using a torque wrench) when reinstalling the windshield wiper cowling, which is bolted under two of the strut tower nuts.

Lucky for me, I found that they sell just the strut mount top plate that has the pressed in bolts, so I didn't have to replace the entire front strut assemblies on both sides. I had to also purchase a spring compressor tool for the repair. That was the scariest part of the whole repair, compressing the strut spring to remove the strut mounting top plate.

The car was driven several times before the repair with no problem, though it was natural to try to to avoid going through turns and over bumps with higher than average speed.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.