1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ok to use electric fence wire to balance HV battery pack in parallel?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nathandavidhall, May 27, 2022.

1. nathandavidhall

nathandavidhall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey all, I've been slowly trying to get a '07 Prius back in driving condition after it gave me the red triangle etc over a year ago (buying a '21 Prius Prime kinda hurt the motivation haha). I've got the battery out, found the 5 bad modules, replaced those with good (hopefully) modules from ebay, but the replacement modules measure about 7.7v while the rest are around 7.3v.

I understand I should balance the whole pack by flipping every other module so all positive are on one side and all negative are on the other side, then put a wire across all the positives and a separate wire across all the negatives. I read that a solid copper 12 or 14 gauge household wire is best but a coat hanger can work.. My question is, can this 14 gauge galvanized electric fence wire work just as well? I have a bunch left over from another project and it'd be the easiest thing to use.

I'm hoping to not have to use an RC charger and all that, the only charger I have currently is this 6v/12v car battery smart charger. Really hoping I can just slap some wires on there, give it 24 hrs to balance, put it back in the car and hope for the best. Thanks!

2. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You understand incorrectly, that process is called equalizing, not balancing, and is largely a waste of your time and effort.

To balance the battery or separate modules you need to do a series of overcharges (at a very low current) and discharges (to lower stopping voltages on each subsequent discharge) finishing with a gentle final overcharge.

If you want to balance the battery, there is no getting around using a charger and discharger.

You might be able to get away with doing a 'top charge' which in essence is just doing the first balance charge and then stopping.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You should see the tiny Little liars on my Venice hybrid multi-volt charger which goes from around 175 to 400 volts I have a switch on it because the wire is not carrying any amps it's only carrying milliamps so the wires could be Jesus I probably 18 gauge looks like what these are on this charger and it's pretty well built too so I would think you're 12 gauge any kind of copper wire would be suitable on down to around well at least 14 but like I say my charger this thing looks like 18 gauge wire it's very thin is not made to handle any amps milliamps probably I know my charger is 2,400 milliamps at 336 volts

5. nathandavidhall

nathandavidhall Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm so there's no advantage to "equalizing" in that way? I came across it a few times on blog posts and such but I guess it was from other folks who were less informed. I think I've also seen threads where people just put the battery back in the car after replacing modules even with slightly different voltages, is there a chance I can just put it back in with the 7.3-7.7v difference and be ok?

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    By slight, I would expect that the voltages would be 0.1 - 0.2 volts variance.
    I wouldn't, but until you charge them all up and do a load test (or let them sit for a week) and see what the variance is, no one can really say. If it is more than 0.3 V, I wouldn't expect the repair to last for very long before throwing a code.

The key to good repair is having 28 modules that are closely matched (both capacity and charge/disscharge characteristics) to each other.