1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

okay.. i'm about to join the v clan. what should i look for?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by ltlurker, Dec 28, 2016.

1. ltlurker

ltlurker Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    okay, after much debate, I'm 90% sure I'm going to jump in and join the clan. I'm looking at 2 used ones and have questions on what I need to look for? both low miles.. also which one is the better deal?

1) 30k, 2016 v clean 1 owner, looks like all the checks have been done by the dealer. most likely a lease
    2) 1k, 2016.. commercial, no 1st owner. not sure what it means but the though of having the 30k miles warranty is tempting to pay more but i'm not sure if it's worth 4k extra.

also when i'm looking at the car, what are the major things i should look at before I pull the trigger?

2. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    There are few items to worry about in v cars this new.

Sure there are options that distinguish one from another.

Map data date may be different.

Tires may be different in brand, wear characteristics, wear and even Low Rolling Resistance characteristics.

If from a dealer, bargain for the latest map update (Nov/Dec 2016) which uses data already a year old. Would I pay $4k for the warranty? Not if I had something like a 30 day warranty just to make things started out right and it wasn't a lemon returned to the dealer.

Daughter in law just bought one from CarMax. Mine is 35k old and not a single problem.

Chazz8 likes this.
  3. ltlurker

ltlurker Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I aimed for > 2015 due to crash rating for the front end mostly.

map update will be possible for the 2016 with 1K miles but won't probably be an option for the other non toyota dealer. I will ask for a warranty but not sure how far i'd get with the 2016 w/ 30k @ the non toyota dealer.

since toyota has a 35k/3 year bumper to bumper, will I still be covered under warranty for 5k miles if I end up with the 30K vehicle?

4. ltlurker

ltlurker Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    okay, i became a card carrying member of the v clan. Ended up with the 30k used prius v, 5 + ATP, with a price of 23000 before taxes/doc/registration. couldn't turn down a 30% discount from new.

now just need to find a privacy screen and maybe tint the back windows.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! That's a great price.

6. mhagadorn

mhagadorn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ditto. Congrats. You want a privacy screen for the rear hatch area? I always stash those in my attic until I sell a car. The one for my '12 Prius v that I bought last week is leaning up against my garage wall (hasn't made it to the attic yet) if you want to talk...

7. ltlurker

ltlurker Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    ^^

PM sent