1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Okay so I haven't actually got my Prius....yet

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 524, May 12, 2007.

1. 524

524 Guilty but not Responsible

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am fact finding, comparing, and otherwise considering trading my Matrix for a Prius.

What I want to know is as Prius owners what wisdom can you share with me?

Any tips about buying the car? What questions I should ask. What do you wish you had done differently when you bought your Prius?

Any input appreciated

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(524 @ May 12 2007, 11:59 PM) [snapback]440869[/snapback]</div>
    Just remember to go in with realistic numers for your trade and new payment target and dont settle on anything less, the salesman needs your sale more than you need to buy it, so dont be afraid to be patient and walk out the door, they our guaranteed to call you with another offer. And remember they arent the only toyota dealer in the area.

3. liznowen

liznowen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm in a similar situation. I've decided I'm going to be buying a Prius in the next month or so. I've been really glad to find this site to learn more about them before buying.

4. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm sure you know this, but you can get a better deal without a trade. However, not knowing your situation, you may not be in a position to sell the Matrix first. You can find out the invoice cost, and dealer costs of packages on-line, so you know if you are getting a good deal. Apparently, Toyota has just reduced most package costs recently. I checked on buying mine thru Costco, but with the Prius you can get a better deal without them. Like morpheusx said don't be afraid to walk out, I did at first, and sure enough they called me back several times until we finally struck a deal. Prius's(sp?) seem to be more plentiful (at least in this area) now, so they are more willing to deal on the price. Not like the old days when you put down a deposit and got on a waiting list for one to come off the truck. I wasn't fortunate enough to discover this site before I bought; you have that advantage.

5. kayemarschke2

kayemarschke2 New Member

6. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I sent an email to every dealer in the area via the Toyota website to see who bid the lowest on the color/package I wanted. Make sure you learn what the out-the-door cost of the vehicle is (including any "document fees" or extra cost the dealer tacks on when you're signing the paperwork).

Also, if you're going to buy an extended warranty, don't do it at your local dealer. Any Toyota dealership can sell you the warranty, and some are willing to sell for about half of what it will cost at the dealership if you give them a phone call. Just check back on this website (or Google) for a reference if you need it.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Read through www.carbuyingtips.com which has a load of useful info. Ask if you get a discount on parts and accessories after you buy the car. If so, buy the floor mats and rear bumper applique later if you can't get the discount. Happy hunting.