1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Okay. This is getting silly now.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusForThePeople, Apr 2, 2009.

1. PriusForThePeople

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here we are. April 2nd. The highly anticipated 2010 Toyota Prius is expected to hit the showroom floors in about 2 months. Where the heck is our pricing?:confused::confused::confused: I think that if Toyota hasn't figured out pricing they need to speed things up a little. On the other hand, if they have figured out the pricing and are just keeping it on the down low, then that's a terrible mistake.

The objective: I'm looking for some responses. True, honest responses to what you think Toyota is doing with regards to prices. Whether or not you think it's a good idea or a bad idea that they are holding the prices from us for this long. Am I the only one who is wondering why it is taking so long for them to get the price to us considering the release is a mere 2 months away. Not sure about all of you, but that kind of turns me off to the idea of buying a 2010 when I could buy a fully loaded 2009 for next to nothing if I went to my local dealer. Thanks for reading and, as always, all comments and responses are appreciated and welcomed!!! :D

2. marzprius

marzprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's pretty usual for Toyota, won't see pricing until they're about a month from showing up at the dealership, so about another week or 2. We just got our first one alocated, we'll probably see pricing on it in a week or 2, should see it on ground approx. early May. :cheer2:

3. johnnyp500

johnnyp500 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ive already given up on it, I guess they're just interested in keeping the current Prius owners as Prius owners and not attracting non-Prius owners. I've already pretty much decided on the fusion hybrid because of their chosen annoying strategy.

4. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm guessing that the 2010 will arrive at dealers somewhere around the middle of May. If this date is somewhere near the correct time frame then I will start getting upset in about 2 weeks. I would think a month before delivery is close enough. I understand your frustration but I hope you can hang in there a couple more weeks. :)

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And remember that a very heavy majority of future 2010 Prius owners probably don't even know about the car yet.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Doug has already stated that Toyota now has pricing, but is not ready to release it.

Tom

7. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    One thing that some people here seem to not realize is that some of the final details (such as which shock absorbers to use in which market's vehicles, etc.) had not been made until recently, and some still may be getting finalized, as they prepare to ramp up for production.

Until all that information is determined, and contracts with every OEM supplier has be finalized, it would be premature at best for Toyota to be able to give any sort of final numbers.

8. marzprius

marzprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just saw pricing anouncement for Japanese 2010 base of 2.05mil Yen, approx. $20750 US. Don't know Japanese equipment level, but looks like US will be priced even more aggressively than I thought! VERY EXCITING :rockon:

9. saxamoophone

saxamoophone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not bad! If the MSRP of $20750 is about the base price for the Prius II, that would have me buying one for sure!

(Right now I'm in the market looking at the Insight, Prius, Civic, and Jetta)

10. PriusCrazy

PriusCrazy Blizzard Pearl for Me

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My guess (and hope) is Toyota plans to price the 2010 so close to 2009 prices that they're waiting until the 2009 inventory gets lower before announcing the 2010 prices. Otherwise the 2009's won't move.

11. PriusForThePeople

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a good thought.... Didn't think of that... I should be more optimistic...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... That would be sick!

12. willster

willster New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Maybe that's why we already know what the 2010 is gonna cost us. We pretty much ran out of 2009's. ('We' being the dutch.)

13. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, I am getting a bit anxious about the price, but only because I've been looking at the car for so long. I think the original representation to us was that the car would arrive in May or June and we'd know the pricing 4 to 6 weeks in advance. Perhaps my memory isn't correct, but if it is, then Toyota still seems to be on track.

If they had promised pricing in March, I've forgotten about it. About the only reason I could see for delaying a price announcement would be Toyota's effort to make certain they do not get undercut by the competitors.

As the 2009s are already made and shipped, there is little danger of the 2010 competing directly against 2009s on the lot -- unless they arrive today with similar pricing to the 2009s. The best thing for us (who are eagerly awaiting pricing) is to see the 2009s move. The more the 2009 prices drop, the more "room" there is for the 2010 price to be lower.

For those who are trying to decide between a 2009 and a 2010, and you are doing it on price alone: Buy the 2009 while you still have a selection.

14. nhguy78

nhguy78 whirr...........

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I can see some more well-to-do manufacturers who can handle the price cuts to wait for their competitors to post prices first and then beat their price.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    [​IMG]

You're certainly within your rights to take your ball & go home, but I doubt if ford wants a customer that so quickly threatens, or thinks they can so easily coerce into getting their way, or is so quick at a loss for patience. Probably even GM wouldn't want to deal with that manner ... well ... mayby they'll take you, but don't mention the 'tude/threat thing
    :rolleyes:

I'm ancie too ... but how's the ol' saying go? Catching more flys w/ honey than you can w/ crap? (paraphrase)

16. johnnyp500

johnnyp500 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hey bubba,
    If you have a tissue wipe that brown stuff off your nose, you're causing those flies(or as you call them flys) to gather around you.
    Now... I can pretty much guess that you left school when you were 16 so let me give you a free lesson.
    In a competitive market you must base your marketing strategy on many aspects one of which is your competition. Especially in times like these when sales are 40% down. So if Toyota, or anyone for that matter is going to play hard to get they're not going to get me. I don't need to be patient while the competition has already released pricing and estimated delivery in fact patience is completely irrelevant in this discussion. Obviously you don't care if you get walked on or maybe that's what you're use to and you just accept it either way, I don't.

In life you have leaders and followers.. Where would you place yourself?(Easy question, you should be able to answer it)

Short note: Every one has opinions, that's what this forum is for. Keep it opinionated don't go personal!!

17. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey, Johnny. This is "bubba's" friend and a friend of many on PriusChat. You've just finished one week of time joining us on PriusChat, and I've been glad of your contributions -- at least until this one, that is.

It is a free country, and you are free to offer your opinions. Please try to do so with either a bit more humility or bit less anger. If what Hill wrote brought you personal offense, then offer him a chance to explain what was written. It wouldn't be the first time that a little haughty sarcasm when awry.

I'm hoping you'd like to retract that one, but since you haven't been in the PriusChat world long enough to know true brown-nosing, I guess it could be seen as simple sarcasm.

So you must be a marketing guru. I'm not. My father is, but I think even he would admit that it took him about 30+ years before he could even think of himself that way. I suppose you are old enough now to have gone right through grammar school, high school, college and graduate business school -- and have 5 years of real-live work experience.

I'm old enough to show respect, regardless of age, to grant respect, based on what I've witnessed, and deny it based on repeated failure. For the moment, anyway, I'll decline your marketing schooling, but I'll be pleased to continue to read your opinions.

It does appear you've been trained in marketing and not philosophy, as I think your statement is a bit internally inconsistent (if not just missing some punctuation). True, you need not be patient, but I think the entire purpose of this thread is to question one's own impatience. If you need to make a decision and can't wait on Toyota's pricing, then you've gotta do what you've gotta do. This isn't a one-car company world. I think the Fusion is a good looking car, and the write-ups sound pretty impressive. I don't know that I'll buy one, but I'd certainly consider it -- after finding out the 2010 Prius pricing!:p

If you've found the "Easy Button" that works at more places than the office supply store, please let us in on the secret. Look, I don't know your life circumstances any more than you know Hill's, so I can't tell if you really live with that bravado or you haven't yet found out that it isn't all about you. Still, if you want to jump to conclusions -- go ahead. I only ask that you try to keep from such strident and intentional personal attacks. (The first 30 posts were a pretty darn good start, so I'll just go with the thought that Hill's post was a bit over the top for you.)

Yep. Marketing.

Apparently, there are people who give advice and people who listen to advice. I am of the persuasion that if one offers advice it should be of the kind the advisor is willing to follow.

And if your response is "Well, he started it first!" -- I'll find another photo to post.

Okay. This is getting silly now. :focus:

1 person likes this.
  18. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ON all new models it's normal for Toyota to hold the pricing 'til just before the vehicles arrive....a week or two. At least for the last 10 years it's been like this. I'm shocked that they are going to give them out this early presuming that it will be soon.

I wouldn't be shocked if the prices are released on 4-30 as the vehicles leave the plant. That would be normal procedure.

Where will they be? Your guess is as good as mine but since I've been through about 20 of these I'd guess that the new prices will be slightly higher than the outgoing ones. That too is normal procedure. That would put an equivalent 2010 model 1223 like a 2009 package 2 at about $23900 plus mats.

19. johnnyp500

johnnyp500 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So I guess you're the lawyer and he can't defend himself. Anyway.... I'm not going to say he started it but he did put a picture of a baby and made some misspelled comments.

Anyway you guys go back to the subject, I just don't like someone posting up a picture of a baby and making some personal comments just because I posted an opinion that I don't like something.

But ok, you know the guy so u took his side, understandable...
    Have a good night.

20. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    ;) Hey! I'll take that role -- and the fee that goes with it!

Yeah, I figured the picture got to you. I would have gotten under my skin, too. (Oops! So much for my great fee!).

I don't like the personal attacks any more than you, and I see you've understood what I was all about. Now it is time to take my client out to the wood shed.

Hill!? You out there!?