1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Okay to put in full synthetic into 2002 Prius?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by primuspaul, Jun 17, 2014.

1. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Is it okay to put synthetic oil into a 2002 Classic Prius? I think the recommended fuel is something like 5w30. I initially put in synthetic blend and noticed no oil consumption. Now it's coming time to change the oil and was wondering what I should do. What oil to put in? Is there a good specification of what filter to use? Can any oil/lube place change the oil or should I take it back to a local mechanic who does repairs?

I was thinking of putting in synthetic, doing 5,000 mile change intervals, and topping off with synthetic blend if necessary.

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It is generally thought that it is NOT good to change a 12 year old car over to synthetic......or at least not necessary.
    My opinion is "stick with what got it this far" and don't go switching around for no good reason.

The change interval is probably more important than the type of oil used.

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, I personally don't see a problem with putting in synthetic but if your gonna do 5000 mile change intervals, synthetic is not necessary.

4. How many miles does it have?

With my SUV at just under 40,000 miles I switched to full synthetic (same 5w-30) and the red oil check light came on. I just kept driving it for 2 more years the sensor just didn't like synthetic as much as the engine did :LOL:

5. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    130,000. Okay, I'll stick to synthetic blend, or whatever is on the engine oil cap.