1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Olbermann’s Special Comment on GOP Fearmongering

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Three60guy, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ok, you don't have time to see the Power of Nightmares which takes 3 hours to see. How about 8 minutes? Or read the transcript of Ken Olbermann's special commentary? This guy really nailed it this time. I don't care if you are republican or democrat. This needs to be heard. It is so true.

The following link has both the video and the transcript to

Ken Olbermann’s Special Comment on GOP Fearmongering

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Oct 24 2006, 11:29 AM) [snapback]337341[/snapback]</div>
    Olbermann rocks. One of the few things on the tube worth watching.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I'm curious to hear what the Republicans on the board think about the issue.

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If by “He nails it†you mean that he has captured the number one spot for the most biased, most animated tirade by a liberal commentators – yep, I too think he nailed it! :p
    He took over the number one spot from Katie Couric when she went into a tizzy on the air the morning after the last presidential election. She was freakin' mad, and lost her cool! :lol:

By the way, his name is Keith, not Ken. ;)

I happened to walk in on part of Kieth Olbermann's [Church Lady voice] “Special†[/Church Lady voice] Commentary. My favorite part was where he blames the president for bone fragments being found at the World Trade Center site this past week. “You can't even recover our dead from the battlefield. The battlefield in an American city. When we've given you five years and unlimited funds to do so.â€

Wow, I didn't realize . . . EVERYTHING is the president's fault. :eek:
    I guess it is if you are a flaming ultra-liberal. :rolleyes:
    Even the dyed in the wool Democrat in the room had a good laugh at that one, and said, “what, was the president supposed to pick up the shovel himself and lead the way, and not give up until the last speck of human dust had been accounted for?â€

Yep, it was a "Special" moment. And a good laugh. :rolleyes:

5. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 24 2006, 10:42 AM) [snapback]337348[/snapback]</div>
    Well I suppose because I used the words "He nailed it" it would inflame the "other side". I deeply apologize. Yes, I do agree Keith (thank you for correcting me) can be over zealous. I agree GW should not be held accountable for finding bone fragments. What I was referring to was the fear aspects of their culture. Why does he lean so heavily on fear to try to get votes? Ok, he isn't running for office but you have to admit this is spun this way to get mid-term election votes. I personally do not favor any "leader" who uses fear. Sufferin' Prius Envy, I am truly curious, do you favor the use of fear as a means for our government's role to lead us?

I am also sorry if this offended you Sufferin' Prius Envy. I just am sick and tired of the manipulations and would prefer a leader who provided hope. Thanks for your comments, however.

6. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 24 2006, 08:42 AM) [snapback]337348[/snapback]</div>
    Well, what would you expect them to say? The same thing you would say about a Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity segment.

For my opinion as a very left leaning independent, I think there's obviously a lot of truth in the premise that the administration thinks it's good for them for us to be afraid -- they still cling to the notion that their strong suit is protecting us. Olbermann, like his conservative counterparts can be entertaining, but this time I think he should have stopped a couple of minutes earlier. Far be it from me to agree with SPE (he'd think I'm so far left leaning as to be lying on my side) but the nonsense about the bones found in New York being somehow the fault of Bush left me a little disappointed in Keith. Caused me to say out loud " Oh please! Leave that kind of crap to the Limbaughs and Hannitys." I honestly thought better of him than that.

7. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pogo @ Oct 24 2006, 01:28 PM) [snapback]337457[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree. He went overboard on that. I was just hoping we could find some level of consensus concerning the use of fear in the Bush administration's attempt to control us. I don't find that productive.

8. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Oct 24 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]337443[/snapback]</div>
    I guess you forgot that our current president is a "uniter, not a divider". :rolleyes:

9. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, if he did, he would finally be doing something he was qualified to do. :p

10. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Oct 24 2006, 01:35 PM) [snapback]337471[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, for me that was crossing the line. I'm disappointed you felt you needed to say that.

11. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Oct 24 2006, 01:40 PM) [snapback]337475[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry man, just the picture of GW operating a shovel comes easier than him running a country.

Didn't mean to offend though...

12. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That WAS very offensive, tleonhar. Comparing a profession like shoveling with Dubya. Say you're sorry to all the shovellers out there.

13. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

omg, stop being so sensitive about things. I thought the idea of GW pushing a shovel was hilarious. He really isn't qualified for much else, IMO. And get Cheney's fat butt out there, too...he needs the exercise. Of course, I'm talking trash and I'm probably in worse shape than both of them. Maybe I'll get out there, too.

As far as Olbermann's piece: I wasn't as impressed with this one. I thought it was really good to point out how this administration fearmongers, but as with some of you I thought blaming Bush for bone fragments was unnecessary and uncalled for. For crying out loud, two huge skyscrapers collapsed with thousands of people in them, not something that many people have experience in cleaning up after. I won't be surprised if there are numerous other times in the future that pieces of human are found as a result of this event.

Vince

14. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I agree also that he shouldn't have gone after Bush personally for the 9/11 clean-up. Fine.

But the real point of the commentary is whether the Republicans are going too far by using OBL tapes to scare the public into voting for them -- to terrorize the public into voting for them -- the Republicans' own use of terrorism. What do you Republicans think about this?

15. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I agree -- the party of fear essay was spot on, the bones stupid. It cheapened his entire editorial, and made me think he has adopted typical repub strategies of trying to tie emotions to arguments.

Unfortunate.

16. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 24 2006, 10:30 AM) [snapback]337402[/snapback]</div>
    Lets face it. Judging by past declarations when ever something goes wrong (ie:every day), it was CLINTON'S fault. Look, the buck stops at the top. Even Reagan had his famous 'The buck stops here' plaque on his desk. There are no "W"'s in that so it can't be missing. :rolleyes: ...or did junior declaire that age old saying no longer applies to him :rolleyes:

It's been a 'Special' moment for the past 5.5 years.

Watching the republicans finger point at each other this past week has been more fun than "The Beverly Hillbillies" reruns.

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Oct 24 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]337443[/snapback]</div>
    Not offended in the least. But thanks for your concern. :)

For people who have an above average intellect, I can see how the near constant reminders that there are bad people in the world – ones who predate our current president – who have done, and have vowed to do further grave harm to the USA . . . would seem like fear mongering.

Remember, we are talking about Americans here . . . a species of human who quite often display the attention span of a juvenile fruitfly. :rolleyes:

Of course, in a Pollyanna world, there would be no attacks, no need to protect a society, and no need to remind people that bad thing can and do happen. Are the complaints of fear mongering coming from people who are sick and tired of hearing all the warnings/reminders, or from those who wish to complain for political expediency?

Is it fear mongering when there IS a group who has vowed to kill you? :huh:

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 24 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]337402[/snapback]</div>
    Unless it's Clinton. Because everything is Clinton's fault.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ Oct 24 2006, 01:35 PM) [snapback]337469[/snapback]</div>
    And THE DECIDER. Don't forget he's also the "Decider."

19. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 24 2006, 05:22 PM) [snapback]337640[/snapback]</div>
    Patrick,

Of course not. But that is the point of all this. There isn't an organized network or group hell bent on killing us with a network of terrorists. The ideology certainly is out there as it has been since the beginning of time (so to speak). But to think there is an organized and funded NETWORK of a huge number of people is simple a fantasy. That was the whole point of the documentary "The Power of Nightmares" which has never had the opportunity to air in this country even though it was produced by the BBC and aired all over Europe via satellite. You put two and two together and you begin to see what is said in the film combined with it not being carried on American television and you can see that it all adds up to fabrication by our government. See it for yourself. This has happened before in history.....just not in this country. I am simply amazed how often this lie is told over and over by the news networks. Paraphrased, the documentary says...."those with the worst terror have the most power". We are our own terrorists. However, the chink in the armor is starting to tarnish. I, for one, do not feel the lack of safety I once did before researching this subject. I just hope the majority of people see what our government has done to our legacy and vote for a huge change. Many lives have been given over the years to provide us with better leadership than we now have in our government. Leading through the use of fear is shameful.

Those are my views.

20. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Oct 24 2006, 10:30 AM) [snapback]337402[/snapback]</div>
    Not to start a new flame, but if you see anything funny about any of this, you are a sick puppy.

Now give me some clever emoticons. (Even they aren't original.)