1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

old FOB battery stuck

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AceDeuceCoupe, Mar 8, 2016.

1. AceDeuceCoupe

AceDeuceCoupe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This has got to be the most stupid I have ever felt. I've read all the threads on changing fob battery and no one ever had trouble getting the battery OUT of it's space, once the cover and screws are off. I had no problems getting the cover off and the little screws and all that; I'm literally at the point where the battery should just drop out or lightly pry lose, but I can't seem to get the thing out. :)

There is that about 1/4 circumference of an overhang that the battery slides in under, so I try gently to get the opposite side to tilt out, but can not get even the slightest budge. I've tried the skinniest screw driver, skinniest fine tip knife, and even the smallest tip needle and there is nothing that even gives a hint of being able to get between the battery and the side.

Is it possible there that overhang is part of a little carriage for the battery that engulfs the battery in a tight fit and that we have to take out the entire carriage? I've taken these same batteries out of a lot of motherboards, no problem, but never run across something like this.

I'm literally trying so hard to wedge some sharp object in between the battery and it's holding space, that I got to the point feeling I might break something, so that's why I stop and come post this thread, see if anyone else ever had this. Seen Patrick's link with all photos, but none of the battery coming out of it's hole.

Man, this is "rock-bottom" as far as my DIY confidence, I can tell you. But if anyone has any ideas, I'll sheepishly accept. :)

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Too funny.

Yeah, your manlihood has been been checked by a remote battery. Maybe follow what this person does. A little more force may be required; perhaps the battery leaked a little and the dried fluid is making it stick too much.

AceDeuceCoupe likes this.
  3. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    just rip into it with a steak knife, worst that can happen is you screw up the fob and cant start the car, small price to pay..men don't ask for directions :rolleyes:drip some rubbing alcohol between the battery and the board, it will dissolve any glue that might be there without screwing up the electronics,use very little (y)

#3 48mpg, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had this happen to me before, I just pounded it a few times against a tabletop and it eventually freed itself.

AceDeuceCoupe likes this.
  5. AceDeuceCoupe

AceDeuceCoupe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks to all! I did resolve this, and sorry I had to lose my "man card", but it turns out that asking for directions was what I needed. I could NOT get even sharpest steak knife or even finest sewing needle in between the battery edge and case, but what the users video showed was how the contacts underneath looked (like two prongs sticking up). Seeing that it looked to me like it should have a slight "spring like" action if pushed straight DOWN in the center (a little counter-intuitive to my impulse to try and pry it UP).....but that is what did it! A few gentle down presses, with a release like you would do when pushing a spring button, and it then must have centered itself and popped right up!

</ end thead >
    </ reapply for man/DIY card > :p