1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Old old 2004 Prius navi update question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Lokesh, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Lokesh

Lokesh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys!
    I have the old 2004 Prius, and the maps are now so outdated, they make me go the wrong way quite often :( I have version 3. something on there :s
    I decided to update the maps, and was wondering how to figure out exactly what DVD I need? I have decided to buy it off eBay or download it or something. But I don't know which version I'm looking for. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks so much!

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  3. Lokesh

Lokesh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I have this disc:
    DVD Navigation Map
    NORTH AMERICA
    U 91 D
    Toyota Motor Corporation
    C 2009 DENSQ Corporation
    C 2008 NAVTEQ
    C 2009 Tele Atlas North America, Inc.
    Data by infoUSA C 2008
    All rights reserved
    MADE IN JAPAN

DVD ROM
    86271-73011
    464210-1420
    DATA ver.09.1

How do I check the generation of this disc? I tried popping it into my Prius today, and it didnt work

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The part number 86271-73011 is not correct for your 2004 Prius. I believe that disk is for a different Toyota nav or possibly the 2010 Prius nav based upon that part number. The Gen 4 nav disk should have a part number like 86271-33XXX if I understand correctly.

See this post:

http://priuschat.com/forums/private-sales/45587-08-dvd-navigation-map-cd-sale-2.html#post602843

5. Lokesh

Lokesh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Oh damn I knew it was the wrong disc! I put it in and it said could not read map data or something.
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

6. Lokesh

Lokesh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know where I can download this disc from? Or does anyone here have it and does not mind uploading it for me? I would really appreciate it, my maps are ANCIENT and I cant really afford buying the DVD right now :(

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    from what i've read since i've owned my 04... it requires a firmware upgrade to read the newer disk. i think firm-year spans are 04-06, 07-09, and 10+

i'm recently interested in updating my nav too... i know there are a lot of post on here Somewhere about it.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I don't want to sound like an internet cop, but in other words you're asking;
    "... Does any one know how to swipe a pirate copy of a NAV disk?"
    All legal-original NAV DVD's are hard copies, and not downloadable from any site. So, you've come to the wrong place. There are plenty of sites run by folks that are short on character/integrity on the web that'll help you with your . . . task. But the mods here ... they don't roll that way, and in fact, may cancel your membership on PC, if you pursue this line of inquiry.

:rolleyes:

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You can find Garmin GPSes with life time updates cheaper than the Toyota DVD.

10. Lokesh

Lokesh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In a very crude way, yes that is what I was asking. But alright I understand. Nevermind then, thanks.

11. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think you need a firmware update (almost 100% sure). If you just buy a GEN 4 disc and pop it in it will work. What I did hear is that it WILL modify your firmware automatically and disable your ability to use the soft override. That means that you can't input addresses while the car is moving. I use that hack all the time and I can't live without it!

I bought a disc on Craig's list and he modified it somehow where it does not modify the firmware but it IS the 8.1 data. Works great!!! I wish the prices for the disc updates were cheaper.

12. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i wish someone would rip me a copy for a cheap price....

i mean... i need a totaly legal copy i can pay way too much for...

i mean.....

yeah....

i haven't used the nav override in a while... i wonder if i could live without it... hmm...

13. Lokesh

Lokesh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah thats a hybrid disk where one of the files are replaced with a file from the old disk. I dont really care about the override working, I was just hoping for some nice new maps

14. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Before you update your dvd for Nav, regardless of the moral issues associated, you may want to check into the overide issues with updating. Up to a certain model year I believe you can overide the nav so that the passenger can actually control the map data. But once you update the dvd to a certain year I believe that they took away the overide feature.
    May not be an issue if you don't want to be able to control the nav while the car is in motion.

15. Lokesh

Lokesh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would care about the override, but I tried it and it sucks because you have to keep going into the service menu each time you turn on the car to drive. It does not remember the override when the car is turned off which is really annoying. So if I go through the process of doing the override thing each time, I can take that time to just type in the address anyway... So I figure the override thing is a non issue for me at this point.

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We each have our own idea of what is an annoyance, but even though you need to do the override each time you want to use the NAV it takes just a couple of seconds and can be done w/o stopping the car or taking your eyes off the road for very long.

I assure you that the lack of that ability is much more annoying than simply doing the override dance once in a while.

1 person likes this.
  17. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree totally. It is simple and well worth it to overide. Even if you have to do it each time.
    To each it's own though. Good luck.

18. Lokesh

Lokesh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but the thing is I've known about this override for a while. I've still chosen not to use the feature though because to me its as annoying as being able to enter an address only when the car is not moving. Right now updated maps are more important to me than the override.

19. Wolfie52

Wolfie52 Senior "Jr" Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree. I updated my DVD to version 9.1 which does not allow the override feature on my '04. I used the feature a couple of times when I had my original DVD, but after a while I never used it. DO you really need that? After all, most trips are in familiar territory.

For those who have a Navigation system and add a GPS you make your car an EXCELLENT target for a break in. It is the most common item stolen and you will likely suffer hundreds of dollars in damage to windows (even if you have taken out your GPS) as well as loss of your GPS. You think you will take it out but thieves see the mounting hardware or you forget and BAM. My daughter is a cop and hear about this all the time. I would rather use a map!

And the updated maps do make a difference after 4-5 years.