1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Old power hungry computer died. Seeking advice on replacement/disposal of old.

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by alevinemi, Jun 16, 2009.

1. alevinemi

alevinemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My kids/wife's computer, our old E-Machines AMD3000+ with CRT monitor died. This was a power-hog of the P4-era, when the solution for more powerful computers was to use more power.

I am building a replacement based on an Intel Atom 330 processor. It should be about the same speed (faster processing, slower graphics), and I've ordered all the parts I need except the monitor from newegg.com. When built, the main computer should use 32-37 watts when running full-tilt.

I had a few questions though:
    1) How do I responsibly dispose of the current computer (non-functioning, and a few parts missing that I think I can still use).

2) Is there a way to search for LCD monitors by power consumption?
    Most manufacturers list how many watts their monitor uses, and I've seen LCD monitors ranging from 19 Watts to over 70 watts. I need a quick list of the most efficient models.

3) Should I just keep the old-power-hungry CRT monitor I have? According to Emachines, it's efficient for a CRT (100 watts maximum, no word on sleep power usage, but probably less than 5 watts)

2. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Since you live in Indianapolis, you should be able to find a electronic recycling place with not too much effort. Sometimes, city or county websites will have recycling info. You should be able to recycle your computer easily, but some places you have pay a small amount for recycling a CRT. Which I have done, cause I dont want it going in a landfill.

I personally haven't come across a list of efficient LCD monitors. But I am sure it is out there. Usually, if it has an energy star rating, you should be in good shape.

No, if you can get rid of the CRT, do it. They are big and bulky, and some reports say they can give off harmful emmisions (not sure if reports are true). Once you go LCD, you dont go back. :D

Emachines? eww. ick.

I would say, if you can, build your new system yourself, do it. That way you can choose the most energy efficient system that you want.

3. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I review monitors, I usually use epeat.net for ratings on environmentally friendly monitors. Also, the general consensus on monitors is use them until they die to be most environmentally friendly.

4. alevinemi

alevinemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My wife brought up the clinching point - with a 3 year old running around, a sturdy old CRT monitor with a hard screen is probably a good thing. A flimsy 12lb LCD with a squishy screen is not. So, the final setup (total cost about $250 plus salvaged parts from broken computer):

- MSI Wind Nettop 100 barebones case/motherboard
    - Intel Atom 330 CPU
    - Western Digital Caviar Green 750GB HDD
    - Nondescript cheapo DVD burner
    - Cannibalized 2GB RAM from laptop
    - Cannibalized keyboard/mouse/webcam/speakers from old Emachines

Total power consumption should be about 35W for the computer, and 100W for the monitor (a little more if I try to overclock it). Add a few more watts for routers/switches, but I run those anyway for the work computers.

As for the Emachines, it was good. Lasted many years. Probaby died because of the four inch thick dust covering all the inerts.

-->Adam

5. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ditch the old CRT for the build. They are power hogs, take up a lot of space, and heat up the room. My old CRT had a few watts of vampire load as well. I'm using an LG Flatron W2252TQ that consumes 40 W while running (according to my meter), that's about 1/3rd as much as the old CRT was pulling.

I looked at the site Daox mentioned above, but it doesn't give power consumption so I didn't find it useful for monitors. In fact power consumption is not even a significant portion of their rating criteria. ???

Energy Star ratings have been next to useless for monitors and TV's. About the only thing they've been rating is a minimal standby power spec. That is supposed to change somewhat this year. But if they don't give normal power consumption when on, then they won't be worth much to the consumer standing in the store.

6. alevinemi

alevinemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    In the end, if I had gone LCD, I would have picked the Lenovo L174 or the Dell 170S. These run on 19-20 watts. The Lenovos are currently the only monitors available that meet the "new" EnergyStar specs that go into effect later.

I also just discovered my router is sucking up 12W. I think I might set up a virtual machine using ipcop on the new 35W computer to work as a router, so I can unplug/discard the router.

-->Adam

7. Gord

Gord New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if you're concerned about the environment, you should take a serious look at Apples latest generation of computers. The new iMac was just updated in March and is completely recyclable and has been praised for its work on environmental issues (spearheaded by Al Gore on the board of directors no less) and has won several awards regarding it.

Besides, they make amazing computers ;) I'd strongly advise you to take a visit to your nearest Apple store and see for yourself! :D

Edit: just saw that you said you had already ordered the parts, ohwell, still take a look ;)

8. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Adam, my cable modem pulls 4W and my router pulls 4W as well (not wireless.) I've put them both on a powerstrip so that I can shut them down when not in use.

If you want another nasty surprise, take a look at what your set top cable box is running when it is "off." Mine pulls 15W...and therefore now has its own powerstrip. ;)

9. alevinemi

alevinemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I didn't consider Apple. I was on a budget, and I got this setup with only $250.00. I can't afford Apple's profit margin. Even the cheapest mac mini is way more computer than my kids need, and uses more power (they advertise the 13W idle, but requires 110W power in electrical specs).

Also, no cable box - I'm too cheap to buy cable. However, with the digital switch, I do have a digital converter box that I haven't metered.

-->Adam

10. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've raised two kids with a LCD monitor (I've had it for 5+ years now....thus the kids were around 5 and 3 at the time we got it). They were taught not to touch it (much) and it has been working just fine. Just a thought.....

11. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Less x-rays coming out of a LCD vs a CRT. Probably not a factor but something that crossed my mind.

12. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, I agree with that. Of all the things that the kids might damage, the LCD monitor is pretty low on the list. It has a wide base on it so it is unlikely to fall over. My CRT's have been mounted more precariously, but they are ungodly heavy. With younger kids I would be more concerned about them toppling a CRT onto them than damaging the LCD.

When they are little it takes a while to train them not to touch the screen, but eventually they stop.

I had more trouble with the kids inserting CD's/DVD's into slots between bays when they were little than anything else. (I have slot load DVD players.) Their favorite DVD games would go missing and a rigorous search would not locate them...until I opened up the PC case to give it a regular gleaning, only to find several missing DVD's.

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    To save money I'd keep the CRT as long as you are using a video card with a VGA connector and are still getting a good display. I don't have any disposal problems. Put the stuff on the curb & it disappears before the garbage truck arrives.