1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Older but low miles…

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by socal13, Dec 1, 2023.

1. socal13

socal13 livin in the foothills...

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    My 2013 Persona is now 10 years old but only has 62000 miles. The only thing I have ever done are oil changes, engine/cabin air filters, tire rotations, one 12v battery and one set of tires. Due to age, should I change any fluids or anything else?

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    clean the egr circuit and add an oil catch can. my 2012 started acting up at 86,000 last summer

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's just a matter of time obviously you don't drive it very much so by the time you get to the head gasket problem I don't know you may be old and not driving anymore or something. So I wouldn't worry about a thing clean the EGR keep doing the maintenance you're doing the head gasket issue was not anything you can really mitigate the inherent design of the ZZ engine along with the A engine the open deck design is inherently weak but it's okay it lasts long enough It's a trade-off It's very modular and easy to work on and all of this business. I mean by the time the real problems arise in the generation 3 most of them are over 200k and in most car circles that's pretty much old time for replacement etc by these standards today anyway so there's always that. My main complaint with the Gen 3 other than the engine is the door panels armrest blow out no fixing that no glue will hold them You can try and replastic weld the mess but it doesn't hold it breaks just like the welds did in the first place. The trick is to never put your arms on the armrest in the doors never lean on them nothing. If you have above an 11 and you have the soft tex interior. That can be pretty nice as long as you don't burn it holds up a lot better than leather I wish they made all plastic one piece door panels even for another country like the cheapest car but I don't think they did that in the Prius I need to look into that.

4. V Sport Wagon

V Sport Wagon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hybrid Pitstop can take care of all that maintenance for you friend. You are only 35 mins away. Keep that low mileage car running!

socal13 likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah second post #2. Also consider:

brake fluid change
    transaxle fluid change
    full brake inspection