1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Older Honda Civic Hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rufaro, Apr 3, 2007.

1. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A couple of days ago, I ran into (NOT literally) someone driving a fairly old Civic Hybrid. I don't know exactly what year it was, but it was definitely before the '04 Pri redesign that made it so much bigger inside (the owner said they'd looked at a Gen 1 but it was too small for their family).

My question is...well, that Civic has a manual transmission...howzat work w/ a Hybrid???

2. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't know how it works, but the Insight came in both manual and automatic transmission. Seems to me I've heard of battery problems with the manual version, but I don't know if that applies to the Civic.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Apr 3 2007, 04:19 AM) [snapback]416925[/snapback]</div>
    That type of hybrid is an "assist".

It only has one motor and it is integrated directly to the engine, so its spinning is always the same as the engine. So rather than having a second motor and a power-split-device, there is just a traditional transmission (manual, automatic, or cone & belt cvt).

4. MSantos

MSantos EcoAccelerometry

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Apr 3 2007, 03:19 AM) [snapback]416925[/snapback]</div>
    Well, as mcbrunnhilde wisely pointed out: The manual transmission Insight had a host of problems relating to the durability of the battery pack. The same applies to the Gen 1 Civic with a manual transmission. Mind you, the problem was not the battery pack itself but the freedom and lattitude that the manual transmission allowed its driver.

To this day, it is pretty difficult to equal the MPG potential of those cars but that potential comes at the cost of large oscillations in the battery's state of charge... which if left to the care of the fanatic hypermiler, would spell an early death to the battery.

All in all, an interesting footnote in history.

Cheers;

MSantos

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    AND, you can still find this type of "hybrid" being sold. GM pickups, for example. Belt driven electric motor. I wasn't very impressed with the older Civic, as when I looked at it (last year of that model) it was only available in an automatic, and the "normal" Civic with manual transmission beat it in fuel economy. The current Hybric Civic is a different beast entirely. A good competitor for the Prius. Hopefully competition "improves the breed". ;)

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all, for aiding this "inquiring mind!"

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed. The HAH also has a regular 5 speed automatic.

The HCH-I was a good but it lacked power and the efficiency was so-so (I guess you can think of it like the Original Prius sold in Japan). The HCH-II is totally different and a huge upgrade (along with a huge price drop in Canada. It went from $28,500 to $25,800... wonder if the number switch was intentional. The 2007 model sees the price rise to $26,250)

8. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Apr 3 2007, 03:19 AM) [snapback]416925[/snapback]</div>

I was the owner of an 03 Honda Civic Hybrid for almost 5 years before I bought my Prius a couple of months ago. It was a good car for the most part. First generation Civic Hybrids could be had with either a 5 speed manual or CVT transmission. Mine was a CVT which by the way, had to be replaced at 30,000 miles. It was of course done under warranty so there was no cost to me, but the car was out of service for 20 days. The first replacement transmission had the same problems as the original and the dealer ordered a second one. They said that if that did not correct the problem they were going to tell Honda that they couldn't fix it.

The second replacement CVT worked fine and there were no more transmission problems. However, I was always waiting for the "other shoe to drop".

As the car aged the batteries went through recalibration, or what ever you call it, more often. The charge level indicator would go to zero and there would be no assist. Within a few miles it would return to normal. There was really no one special thing that would trigger it.

There was a 12 volt starter just in case the big battery could not start the engine. For the first four years, I never heard it work, however, it did come into play a few times near the end of the time I owned the car.

All in all, it was a good car, and I was never out any money for repairs, other than normal maintenance. If you have time you can go to http://members.cox.net/wdcox to read about my time with the car. There are also complete mileage records for all five years.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model: