1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Omg. The amount of insulation in my cabin air filter…

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kelsuhh, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Kelsuhh

Kelsuhh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sooo, I’d been neglecting to change this out and assumed it’d be fine because I wasn’t driving it much, but dear lord… thought other folks might be interested in seeing some “car gore” :cry:

I guess there’s nothing to do but pull this insulation out and look around! hopefully nothing else got torn up. I check my engine bay regularly for mice nests, but the cabin air filter area didn’t occur to me at all as a place to look at. My interior never had an odor or anything (except uh, wet dog smell from my wet dog lol)

I’m obviously pretty new to actively maintaining my car by myself (my ex used to do all this). This was a good lesson that, hopefully, is also inexpensive.

Attached Files:

dig4dirt and bisco like this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That looks like mice tearing up things I think I've seen it in cars around here in North Carolina before some kind of rodent in there tearing up stuff in the car paper trying to make a nest I don't know whatever but they've been there yeah I never been a cabin air filter guy much I don't even run the fans very much or any of that stuff but I've noticed these things get leaves and sticks and anything that can get past the plastic grill work right under the wipers will fall down into that filter so I try to clean it about every 6 months at least knock it off

3. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yikes that's pretty dirty but at least you found it and replaced it! My son-in-law bought an old, used, Suzuki and had me check it out. His cabin filter was FULL of old wild bird feed so think the previous owner must've parked it near a bird feeder.

We like how the filters with activated charcoal help the car smell better and replace yearly since that's their lifespan.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the car is running okay, you should be in the clear.
    the question remains, where are the rodents?

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good catch! Now to set some traps so it doesn't happen again.

dig4dirt likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Put 1/4" galvanized steel mesh over the cabin air intake. You'll need to remove wipers and cowl for this.

^ In the second video he recommends to disconnect both the 12 volt and hybrid battery; I'm not sure how necessary that is, seems like overkill.

#6 Mendel Leisk, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    dig4dirt likes this.
  7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I also installed a Mouse Blocker (12v ultrasonic mouse chaser) in my Prius.

JeffD

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I didn't disconnect any of that in the '04 which is still disconnected now being parted but I took the wiper and cowl and unplug the motor and the wiper motor sheet metal bucket and all of that out of the car with the hybrid battery and the 12 volt still plugged up because I wanted to move the car around the yard

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very common. That and cat theft too on this car. G2 Prius is the most sought after car for cat thieves.#1.

Mice love the intake box where the engine air cleaner is. Open the lock clips to that black box under the hood and check the engine air filter.

Open the rear hatch storage lid take The storage shelf out and check in there too.

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's pretty cool I got them in my Passat sitting out here that hasn't moved in a couple years it's been beautiful shape too bad no one will fix it but in the Priuses I've even got one a 13 sitting out here for a year nothing some mold on the tuff tex seats. But that white's right off but no mice no birds no animals weird

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, mesh that too. That one's easy to get to.