1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

On the boat...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by oregonmike, Aug 17, 2008.

1. oregonmike

oregonmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Salesman called again today... My Magnetic Grey Metallic Pkg 2 is on the boat heading over. He estimated 2 weeks until it gets into port, glad I live less than an hour from the Port of Portland.

He did mention it's a 2009 with the anticipated $500 price increase, I guess living on the west coast has its advantages (not that there is any difference between 08-09).

He mainly called to let me know it is on its way, and to double check on the accessories I wanted added at the port. I thought I would have to wait it out for the next few weeks just to see if I was lucky to be in the next allocation, since he called and offered me 2 other colors just this last Monday that were on the lot ('08s).

Now I think I will go ahead and ask for a refund of my deposit at dealer #2, I called today but the office staff that handles such things is out until Monday. (http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-forum/52203-getting-closer-unease.html)

2. ranchogirl

ranchogirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Congratulations! What accessories are you going to have added at the port?

3. Penelec

Penelec New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do you know what boat it's on? I only ask, 'cause I have a SPM also arriving about the same time, aboard the Pixxis Leader. But mine's an '08. And I live on the East Coast, so I'm not sure how long it'll take to truck over.

But I wonder if it's possible that the last of the '08s would be with the '09s? What actually designates the boundary between model years?

4. oregonmike

oregonmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This might sound stupid, but the only accessory I opted for was the bummer "protection" sticker. He mentioned that most are getting the protection sticker and the carpeted floor mats. But wanted to double check as he could tell them not to put them on. I don't like the carpeted floor mats, as I prefer the sleak cheap plastic $9.99 ones I can get down at my local department store. I can not worry what I get on them and they are easier to replace after a 6 months or so (not that much will get on them in my new Prius). I have seen the alternatives to the bummer "protection", but I kinda like it.

I want to add a bluetooth add-on like the Parrot 3200LS once it's finally here, I just need to find someone in Oregon that would install such a thing.

Oh, contrary to public opinion I did already purchase a yakima rack system for it. I have a kayak and bike that I want to be easily taken places and it was IMO the best solution. Yakima is based out of Beaverton, OR (relatively local) and we've had great products from them in the past.

As much as I am into finding out the details, I neglected to get the VIN from him or any other details about the boat. :cool: I was too wrapped up in him calling me on a Saturday with such good news. It would make sense thought, that when they stoped production of the '08 and switched to '09 that they waited for a full boat before sending it over.

5. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As far as I know your 08 comes into Port Newark(they don't truck across the country) Your ship probably left Japan before the 09 left since it's a couple of weeks longer trip to get to Port Newark

6. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Production of '09's started 6 days ago and scheduled port arrival for the first shipment is 9/16, so it's probably a 2008 which did not get the MY2009 $500 increase.

7. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oregonmike,

I hope you know what the '08 in your pkg level goes for. Did you ever do a printout from Toyota's "build your own" website before you ordered (it won't do any good to look it up now since the $500 price increase will already be built into the website's pricing)?

If your car really is an '08 like sorka thinks it will be, your dealer better not try to tack on the $500 price increase. Some dealers are sleazy & will try something like that for extra profit. They will remove the factory window sticker so you can't see the year & price & tell you it's one of the higher-priced new ones. By law you must be provided with the window sticker if you ask for it. It's called the Monroney sticker & must stay on the car window until the car is delivered. This sticker will say the model year of your car & the MSRP. I would keep check'g your dealer's lot near the expected arrival time (if they're close enough to make this easily do-able) to get a look at the sticker on your car. If it is already missing & you ask for it & they tell you they can't find it, tell them to re-print it & make sure the VIN# on the re-print sticker matches the VIN# of your car. They have to provide you with one for your VIN#---it's the law.

If you think the sticker may be an issue with your dealer, then go down a little ways in this Newbie Forum to the post entitled "How to know 09, 08, 07...?". There it is explained that for the USA models the 10th digit of the VIN# designates the last number of the model year since either 2000 or 2001, and before that they used letters in the 10th place of the VIN. When you call your dealer to get your VIN# from him, you will know then if it is an '08 or '09 (as that 10th place digit designates the changeover boundary between model years). And when your car comes in, the door pillar sticker will have a production date of 8/08 (this month) or later if your car is an '09.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

8. oregonmike

oregonmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ct. Ken V,

I have looked at the price (MSRP) and have it in writing/contract as well from the "wait list" date of 6/04. This was an issue with a dealer I didn't place a deposit with, since they insisted I can't get one without floor mats and the protection sticker when I asked why the build price and their price was a few hundred different.

I will definitely look at the VIN number and window sticker before handing over the extra funds. I'm leaving this afternoon for the coast and when I get back later this week I will call and get the VIN number.

Thanks for the heads up on reminding me to check and where to check. :cool:

9. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I put my deposit down on June 24th. The "build your own" has the same MSRP today as it did back then. So I don't think they have changed it yet?